Melt butter in sauce pan on medium-low. Add half of the pepper to the butter. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until butter is melted.
Once butter is melted create a roux whisking in the flour to the butter. Making sure there are no clumps. It will look like paste and no butter should be present.
Once roux has been created slowly whisk in milk. Keep your flame on medium-low. Slowly, you'll notice that the mix will start to thicken up as you whisk the sauce. Continue the whisking mixing process for about 5 minutes until thick.
Before the gravy is done add in the remaining black pepper to taste and a little salt if desired. Serve immediately.
- Spicy - If you like your white gravy on the spicier side you can add in a whole teaspoon of black pepper. I also like to add additional freshly cracked black pepper on top.
- Gluten Free - You can make this gluten free by using either a gluten free flour or making a cornstarch slurry using 3-4 tablespoons of cornstarch mixed into the cold milk. Instead of making a roux with the butter and flour, you would simply melt the butter then pour in the cornstarch slurry milk into the sauce pan and whisk until thick.
- Vegan - You can adapt this recipe to make it vegan. However, I have never tried to switch out the dairy products for non-dairy alternatives. I would like to guess that it would come out similar but with a slightly different not as rich and creamy taste. If you are vegan and try my white gravy recipe with substitutes, please feel free to leave a comment and tell me exactly what you did and of course, how it turned out!
- Leftover Storage - Store any leftover gravy in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat leftover white gravy - To reheat the leftover gravy you can either microwave in 30 second increments until hot or reheat on the stove top in a sauce pan until hot.
Serving: 0.25c | Calories: 153kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 127mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 453IU | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 1mg