In a large stock pot, add salt to water and boil peeled cubed potatoes for 15-20 minutes until tender but still firm.
Drain the potatoes.
While potatoes are draining melt the butter in the stock pot. Once the butter is half way melted. Remove from heat.
Add the potatoes back to the stock pot followed by sour cream, chives, minced garlic, and black pepper. Using a potato mixer, mix potatoes until smooth and creamy. Taste before serving. Add additional salt and/or pepper. Top with additional chives and butter if desired and serve immediately.
- Peel - Take the time to peel the mashed potatoes. This will yield a creamier potato.
- Potatoes - Always use a white potato like russets, yukon gold, or even white potato. These work best for mashed potatoes.
- Even Pieces - Whenever boiling potatoes you want to have even cut pieces. Make sure they are at least 1-2 inches thick. The larger the better--it prevents them from being water logged yielding a gummy potato.
- Room Temperature - Take the sour cream and butter out of the refrigerator before you start to peel the potatoes. You are less likely to have gummy potatoes if you have the dairy at room temperature.
- Leftovers - Freeze the mashed potatoes in a freezer zip lock. They will store for up to 3 months in the freezer. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal side dish!
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 728mg | Potassium: 978mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 167IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 2mg