Combine the strawberries and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the berries begin to release some of their juices and the mixture is simmering for about 15 minutes.
Remove the strawberries from the heat, let rest for 15 minutes. Serve warm if desired. Or let cool to room temperature and store for future use.
- Servings - This recipe makes 2 cups of strawberry compote.
- Fresh / Frozen Strawberries - I always prefer to use fresh strawberries when they are in season. However, you can thaw and use frozen strawberries. I would advise on using chopped strawberries over whole. However, once the strawberries are broken down and cooked for long enough you can mash a few of them with a fork to break them down into smaller bite-size pieces.
- Thickening Sauce - If I find my strawberry sauce is too thin, I will thicken it by mixing together a cornstarch slurry. Make sure you stir in a little bit of the slurry at a time to monitor how thick it gets.
- Thinning Sauce - If you find your compote is too thick you can thin it out by adding a few tablespoons of water. Typically, fruit compote is thicker.
- Spices - If you want to get creative and add additional spices to your compote you can add in lavender for a more floral flavor. As well as cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, all spice, and even scraped vanilla bean.
- Storing - I like to store my strawberry topping in glass jars. These store well in the refrigerator and can be frozen as well.
- Freezing - To freeze the strawberry compote just place it in a freezer safe glass jar or freezer bag. Always label the contents of the bag plus the date. Freeze for up to 6 months.
- Thawing - To defrost the strawberry compote simply place the frozen jar or bag in the refrigerator over night and let it naturally thaw. You can also expedite this process by using the defrost setting on a microwave for a quicker thaw. The last way to defrost compote is by placing the frozen compote in a sauce pan. This only works if you freeze it in a freezer bag.
Serving: 0.25c | Calories: 36kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 55mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1mg