Place the diced tomatoes at the bottom of the Instant Pot. Fill the can with water and pour into the Instant Pot. Then add in the fresh spinach, pack firmly then add the minced garlic, and Italian seasoning on top.
Add the dried cheese and spinach tortellini, then begin pouring the chicken broth on top. The tortellini should be almost submerged. Mix well.
Close the lid, making sure the valve is set to "sealing" and then set on "soup" setting for 1 minute.
Once the soup is done cooking let it "naturally release pressure" for 10 minutes. Then, carefully, force the remaining pressure out of the pot. Remove lid and stir.
Season with salt and pepper if desired and top each bowl with a tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Substitutions - Here are a few of my recommendations for substitutions for this recipe.
- Frozen Spinach - I have used frozen spinach for this recipe. If making in the Instant Pot you can leave it frozen and whole.
- Fresh Tortellini - This recipe has been developed for dry tortellini, and it has not been tested using fresh tortellini. If using fresh tortellini I would suggest to make this soup on the stove top instead.
- Fresh Tomatoes - If you don't have a can of diced tomatoes on hand you can use fresh tomatoes. I would recommend 4 plum tomatoes or two beef stake. Just know you won't have all the tomato juice and the tomatoes might break down more then the canned version.
- Vegetarian - If you want to make this recipe vegetarian you can use vegetable broth or even water instead of chicken broth.
- Spicy - Like it spicy? My hubby and I also like to add in a few dashes of red pepper flakes to our bowls of soup. If you aren't serving this to kids you can add the red pepper flakes directly to the soup pot. Start with just ¼-1/2 teaspoon and work up from there. A little goes a long way.
- Creamy - Make it creamy by adding a half cup of heavy cream after the soup is done cooking.
- Meat - Don't want a vegetarian tortellini soup? You can add Italian Sausage. Simply saute one pound of ground Italian sausage in the Instant Pot until it's golden brown and cooked through. Then add in the remaining ingredients and cook according to directions.
Stove Top Tortellini Soup
Place the diced tomatoes, water, fresh spinach, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning in a large soup pot. Add the dried cheese and spinach tortellini, then begin pouring the chicken broth on top. The tortellini should be almost submerged.
Turn the heat on medium-high and bring to a boil (about 5 minutes). Then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide evenly among bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.
Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup
I have also made this tortellini soup recipe in the slow cooker. You'll want to place all the contents (minus the grated Parmesan cheese) into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours. Just note--that the tortellini will swell over time so you may need to add an additional box of broth before serving.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 789mg | Potassium: 402mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2109IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 195mg | Iron: 3mg