crusty bread is a lightened up and gluten free recipe with the same great tastes as the classic spaghetti bolognese.
I’m at it again with another lighter spiralized veggie noodle recipe. I think it’s perfect timing since I tended to over indulge during the holiday weekend. My menu at home this week is all light meals to get me back on track to eating healthy again! I love using my OXO spiralizer. Since receiving it a few months ago, I’ve been spiralizing the world. Or at least it feels like I’ve been spiralizing just about anything I can get my hands on! It’s easy to clean and has 3 different blades for different thickness. I rate it an A++ because it’s so easy to use! Last month, while enjoying my spiralizer kick I got this crazy idea to make my traditional bolognese sauce but instead of pasta I made zucchini noodles, also known as zoodles. A perfect healthier alternative and best of all gluten free! I used 3 large zucchini’s to spiralize and it gave me enough for 4 servings including the hearty meat sauce.
If you really want to make it on the healthier side you could use ground turkey–but I’m going to be honest, I’ve tried to like ground turkey. But I just can’t get past turkey being ground. I know–I’m so weird. So, I stuck with my classic lean ground beef and pork blend for this quick cooking bolognese sauce.
My husband was skeptical at first, but like many of the past zoodle recipes I’ve made him he loved it. Even my picky toddler who refuses to eat any vegetables loved this pasta and didn’t realize that it wasn’t pasta that he was actually eating a vegetable. I call that a win-win in my book! And enjoyed it the next day at work.
You can make this one pot zoodles with bolognese sauce with a salad and if you want to add a little bit of carbs to your meal, a crusty bread. If your looking to change up dinner and try something a bit healthier, I highly suggest you give my One Pot Zoodles with Bolognese Sauce a try!
One Pot Zoodles with Bolognese Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic in water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3 zucchini spiralized
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil in pan on high heat. Then add in the ground beef, ground pork and onion. Mix and break up for 5 minutes until browned. Reduce the heat to medium. Add in the garlic, Italian seasoning, dried basil, and tomato paste. Mix well then add in the crushed and diced tomatoes. Mix well, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, spiralize the zucchini.
- Once the sauce has cooked for 10 minutes, add the zucchini to the sauce pan. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Mix well, divide evenly among plates and enjoy.