Leek & Cheddar Dip

When I think of food in the month of March I think of all foods Irish. Even though the traditional Irish holiday, St. Patrick’s Day is in the middle of the month I feel a need to eat Irish food all month long.

When I saw this dip in the March issue of Everyday Food I knew I wanted to give it a try. I just so happened to have all of the ingredients on hand and I had family coming over for dinner that evening. I typically like to stay within the type of food we are eating for dinner. That night we were having American BBQ and this recipe didn’t really scream American BBQ to me–it screamed more Irish to me. I ultimately knew that my family would love this creamy–decadent dip.

I was definitely correct. They absolutely loved this recipe. I loved the deep stout flavor that you could taste in each and every bite. This dip is creamy to the tenth degree. It’s insanely creamy and rich. I think that everyone only ate a few pieces of bread and dip (not sure if its because they didn’t want to spoil their appetizer or because this is truly a rich dish.

Adapted from: EveryDay Food, March 2012

• 2 cups shredded cheddar
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tbsp stout
  • coarse salt to taste
  • *baguette for serving
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a large skillet, melt one tablespoon of unsalted butter over medium. Add one leek to the skillet and sprinkle with coarse salt. Cook until tender and slightly caramelized, about 12 minutes.
  3. Transfer leek mixture to a large bowl and add 2 cups of shredded cheddar, 8 oz package of cream cheese, 1/4 cup of mayonnaise, and 3 tablespoons of stout (such as Guinness–I used an Oatmeal Stout). Mix until smooth and well incorporated.
  4. Transfer to a 1-quart baking dish and bake until bubbling and browned on top, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve on slices of baguette.

21 Responses to “Leek & Cheddar Dip”

1. Alyssa posted on March 6, 2012 at 12:38 am (#)

Great dip and the site looks great too!

• Katie replied on March 6th, 2012 at 8:16 am

Thanks, Alyssa! You must give this recipe a try ASAP!

2. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted on March 7, 2012 at 12:26 am (#)

Great appetizer! and congrats on the new blog look — it’s cool 🙂

• Katie replied on March 7th, 2012 at 8:35 am

This is an awesome appetizer indeed! Thanks for the kind compliments about my blog!

3. Droolius posted on March 7, 2012 at 1:17 am (#)

Great recipe and the photos rock! I really like your new wordpress layout too =)

• Katie replied on March 7th, 2012 at 8:35 am

Thanks friend! You know I’m working diligently on improving my food photography 🙂

4. Kelly Senyei posted on March 7, 2012 at 10:48 am (#)

This looks fantastic! I’m a sucker for anything involving leeks 🙂 I’m beyond excited to meet you at FBF!!!

• Katie replied on March 7th, 2012 at 11:17 am

Thanks! I can’t wait to learn more about what goes into recipe development next week.

5. Aggie posted on March 8, 2012 at 9:55 am (#)

Oh this looks so good…I love leeks, never thought to include them in a dip! What a great recipe, perfect for any kind of entertaining!

Your blog looks beautiful 🙂

• Katie replied on March 8th, 2012 at 10:47 am

Thanks for all the kind words! Yes, you are right–perfect any type of entertaining!

6. Aggie posted on March 8, 2012 at 9:55 am (#)

Oh and I have to say, your photos are awesome!!

7. Maureen posted on March 10, 2012 at 3:08 pm (#)

This looks awesome and I love your new blog design. Happy St. Patrick’s Day (early)

8. Bree posted on March 14, 2012 at 4:24 pm (#)

This sounds great-so happy to have found your site!

• Katie replied on March 14th, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you’ll make this dip one day!

9. Sophie posted on March 27, 2012 at 1:38 pm (#)

MMMM,..What a truly appetizing & tasty dip: just perfect for me!

Lovely flavours in here too 🙂

10. Shut Up & Cook posted on September 7, 2012 at 12:35 am (#)

This is perhaps the very first moment in months that I have wished for summer to be over, but only so I can make this dish. It looks outstanding!

11. Gloria Latta posted on March 15, 2014 at 2:24 pm (#)

I see dark green in the pictures. Do you use the dark green part of the leek?

• Katie replied on March 17th, 2014 at 9:17 am

Hi Gloria, I did. If you do use the dark green parts make sure you cook those down as they can be a little tougher and chewier. Enjoy!

1. Pingback: Talking Summer Beers With The Beer Guerilla : Cook the Story