Homemade Hot Chocolate

easy homemade hot chocolate using just a few ingredients you have on hand!

Nothing beats hot chocolate on a cold winter’s day. 90% of the United States right now is freezing… schools are cancelled, roads are iced over, and well everyone is stuck inside trying to stay warm. Last Friday, we had a little “freeze” in Florida. Get ready for it… our temps reached 43 degrees. I know all of you that are in the single digits are cursing me right now, I can’t help that I live in sunny, warm, Florida!

Whenever the temperature drops below 50 degree’s in Florida it calls for Homemade Hot Chocolate!

homemade hot chocolate 1

My recipe for Homemade Hot Chocolate is rich and decadent. No sparing any calories here my friends… with a combination of whole milk, half and half, and heavy cream and a whole lot of chocolate my recipe for hot chocolate is pure dessert in a mug. And of course warms you up! I’ve made this with just whole milk, with a mixture of just whole and half and half and of course what I like to call the “trifecta”. I prefer the trifecta way, but if you want to cut some calories you can use one or all the “milks” I recommend for the recipe.

I served my homemade hot chocolate on Friday night to my husband and neighbor. It was our neighbors birthday and my husband started up our fire pit. Being that we live in Florida we only get to use it a handful of times each year. So anytime it gets remotely cool out he itches to make a fire! I figured what better way to enjoy the cold weather than have hot chocolate. It made for the perfect dessert. My husband and neighbor also added 2 oz. of Kahlua to their hot chocolate to really warm them up. Whether you want an adult version or stick with the classic Homemade Hot Chocolate recipe–either way its sure to warm your soul and satisfy your sweet tooth.

Homemade Hot Chocolate

Prep Time: 1 minute

Yield: 4 - 8 oz mugs

Homemade Hot Chocolate

• 2 cups whole milk
  • 1-1/2 cup half and half
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 3 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 10 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • Mini Marshmallows and Whipped Cream for topping

1. In a large pot, combine whole milk, half and half, and heavy cream. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes or until the milk is warm but not at a boil. Reduce to medium heat, whisk in cocoa powder and granulated sugar.
  2. Stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Continue to stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Carefully pour into four mugs. Top with mini marshmallows and whipped cream.

Notes

Want to really warm up? Add 2oz. Kahlua to each mug!

17 Responses to “Homemade Hot Chocolate”

1. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on January 7, 2014 at 9:21 am (#)

Oh my goodness, how I need a cup of this warmth Katie! Perfect timing. Homemade really beats the pants off of the packets!

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Erin you aren’t kidding. I don’t think I could ever use a packet mix again!

2. Tasha @thatssoyummy posted on January 7, 2014 at 10:54 am (#)

There’s nothing better than Hot Chocolate on a cold day, especially like today! Yes we will have to schedule some play dates for sure ;-)

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Thanks Tasha! I made myself a cup today after lunch. I was craving something sweet and I was freezing… perfect combo!

3. Meagan @ A Zesty Bite posted on January 7, 2014 at 1:24 pm (#)

Ohh this hot chocolate would have been perfect for my DIY hot chocolate bar instead of a package.

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Pin this recipe for later for the next time you do a hot chocolate bar!!

4. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life posted on January 7, 2014 at 5:26 pm (#)

They have already cancelled school again for tomorrow. The kids are getting stir crazy…and me too! LOL! I think we need homemade hot chocolate to warm us up!!!

• Katie replied on January 7th, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Oh Jocelyn, hang in there! I think the kids definitely need a cup of hot cocoa and maybe a movie marathon?

5. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on January 7, 2014 at 5:42 pm (#)

ooooh this looks SO rich and comforting and perfect for this gross gross day!

6. Trish - Mom On Timeout posted on January 7, 2014 at 6:34 pm (#)

Homemade hot chocolate is the best! I can’t wait to try you recipe :) Pinned!

• Katie replied on January 10th, 2014 at 11:36 am

Thanks Trish!

7. Kari@Loaves n Dishes posted on January 7, 2014 at 7:31 pm (#)

We’re cold here in South FLA too, a cup of this yumminess would sure things up!
    I love that you use cocoa powder and chocolate, so that it’s chocolaty but not too sweet.

• Katie replied on January 10th, 2014 at 11:36 am

The weather is wacky, Kari! This is decadently rich… not too sweet but rich! You must try it soon!

8. patsy posted on January 7, 2014 at 9:04 pm (#)

Now that’s the kind of warm beverage we could use around here!

• Katie replied on January 10th, 2014 at 11:35 am

Thanks Patsy!

9. Nikki @Seeded at the Table posted on January 7, 2014 at 9:28 pm (#)

I cannot believe how COLD it is everywhere, even here in Mississippi! We’ve been having our fair share of homemade hot cocoa, too. :)

• Katie replied on January 10th, 2014 at 11:35 am

Nikki its back to the 80’s here in Florida… I’m so over our wacky weather!!