Spicy Bacon Bloody Mary’s
I grew up drinking tomato juice with my breakfast. Then once I got to about 8 or 9 the thick juice repulsed me, and I stayed like that until I was in my mid-20’s. In my early 20’s I had lots of friends who loved a good bloody mary. I would look the other way because just the thought of drinking tomato juice creeped me out. Then it all changed after a business trip to New Orleans a few years back. I was sitting with a co-worker at the lobby bar in our hotel. She ordered a bloody mary and told me it was the best bloody mary she has ever had and that I had to try a sip of hers. I was reluctant to try it, but after a lot of convincing I decided to give it a try. And oh my, am I so glad I decided to try that bloody mary. It changed my life. And since then I’ve been a devout bloody mary.
Still to this day I’ve never found a bloody mary as good as the one I sipped on in the lobby bar in New Orleans. But I have found a few close contenders. Between spicy vodka, well seasoned tomato juice, and a flavorful rim… they all have had their advantages in my book. I don’t make bloody mary’s at home that often, but when I do I try experimenting to recreate the best bloody mary mix that gets relatively close to the one I had in New Orleans.
The key to a good spicy bloody mary mix is lots of seasoning. I love to put lots of prepared horseradish, worchestire sauce, and Louisiana-style hot sauce! Then I rim the glasses with wait for it… bacon grease. I know I’m getting a little out of control, but trust me it makes the drink complete. And then I take that rimmed bacon grease glass and dip it in J&D’s Original Bacon Salt. I put in a stick of celery, a few olives on a stick and of course a slice of crispy bacon for good measure. This spicy bacon bloody mary mix is divine. And if you don’t drink alcohol no sweat… you can still enjoy it without the vodka. I like to make my mix without any alcohol and then let my guest determine how much vodka they want!
Spicy Bacon Bloody Mary’s
Get ready for the most delicious Spicy Bacon Bloody Mary’s you've ever tasted! Perfect for serving a large group for brunch!
Yield: 4 - 8oz drinks
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 1 32 oz. Can of Tomato Juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons worchestire sauce
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (or more if you like it spicier)
- Bacon Grease + J&D's Original Bacon Salt for rim
- Celery, Olives, Crispy Bacon for garnish
- Vodka (optional)
- Pour the can of tomato juice into the pitcher. Then mix in the prepared horseradish, worchestire sauce, and hot sauce. Stir well.
- *Dip glasses into warm bacon grease (see note below). Sprinkle bacon salt on a plate and dip the rim in the bacon salt. Place a few cubes of ice into the glass and pour the spicy bloody mary mix on top. Add your favorite vodka (optional), garish with celery, olives, and crispy bacon.
*Fry bacon in a skillet. Let the grease cool and dip glasses directly into bacon grease. Followed by the bacon salt! Your guest will be surprised by the bacon surprise on the rim of their glass!
Katie Original Recipe