Homemade Hot Fudge SaucePosted by Katie on Jul 18, 2012 in Chocolate, Dessert, Ice Cream | 8 comments
Day 3 of the Virtual Ice Cream Social and today I bring to you a homemade ice cream topping. Key for any ice cream party! I bring you… homemade hot fudge sauce! Yep, I went there, again. Hot fudge has always been one of those indulgence that I don’t get often enough; maybe once or twice a year. That is until I started making my own.
I remember as a kid going out for ice cream once a month, and if I didn’t get a soft serve ice cream cone dipped in rainbow sprinkles or hard chocolate shell I got a decadent ice cream sunday. Vanilla ice cream, thick whipped cream, a maraschino cherry on top , oh and don’t forget the hot fudge sauce. That’s what I really wanted–forget all the other components to the sundae–I just wanted the hot fudge!
It is self satisfying once again to know that I can make my own ice cream toppings. I’ve mastered homemade whipped cream, and make a pretty mean caramel sauce, but now I think I’ve taken my obsession with ice cream to a whole new level with this homemade hot fudge sauce.
Do you make your own ice cream toppings?
Adapted from Epicurious via Gourmet, February 2004
- 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large pot, add: heavy cream, corn syrup, brown sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and 3oz of the chocolate. Bring to a boil over medium heat, continuously stirring until chocolate is melted. Reduce heat to low and cook at a low boil, for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the butter, vanilla extract, and remaining 3 ounces of chocolate. Stir until smooth--cool sauce and serve.
*Store sauce in an airtight container for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
Giveaway Alert! Make sure you enter my KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment giveaway going on this week only!