Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Ham

Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Ham

Easter is this week. To me that’s mind blowing. A quarter of our year is already complete–time is flying by way too fast (in my opinion). Today, I’m sharing with you a super simple slow cooker recipe for Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Ham. Yep, a slow cooker recipe–as in you put the ham in the slow cooker and let it do all the work for you! I also made a handy little five minute video so you can see exactly what I did!

Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Ham

First off (thanks to new FTC rules) I made this video in conjunction with KitchenAid. They supplied me with the beautiful 6-Quart Slow Cooker (and they sponsored me at a conference last year). I’d love for you to watch my video and see just how easy it is to make my Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Ham in the slow cooker.

First off, I’m proud of this video. I went from 14 minutes of footage down to five. Anyone who has ever edited a video knows how extremely hard it is to cut footage. Second, I’m damn proud of this ham. You see I’ve never been one to really enjoy ham. I’ll have a few bites but that’s it. So when I made this ham and proceeded to eat a full piece (I know some may think that is pathetic but to me this is a huge accomplishment), I knew this ham was damn good. I’m not gonna lie, I think the Brown Sugar Honey Glaze helped the ham… a lot!

Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Ham

Cooking ham in the slow cooker is ideal for a holiday dinner or even a special Sunday Supper. I love the idea that my slow cooker is doing all the work for me (and making it smell like I’ve been cooking all day long). So the next time a ham makes the menu (whether its this weekend or any time in the future), make sure you give it a try in the slow cooker… it cooks to perfection and frees you up of pressure time!

Print Recipe

Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Ham

Let your slow cooker do all the work for you--make this delectable (and easy) Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Ham.

Yield: 6-8

Cook Time: 8 hours

Total Time: 8 hours 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 6.5lb bone-in ham
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground clove
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup honey

Directions:

1. Place a slow cooker bag in a 6qt slow cooker. Then place the ham flat side down in the slow cooker. If the ham is too tall for the slow cooker, run your knife on the top of the slow cooker trimming away excess meat (place the excess meat in the slow cooker).
  2. In a medium-sized bowl mix brown sugar, cinnamon, ground clove, and nutmeg together. Rub the brown sugar mixture on the ham until its all used. Then drizzle 1/4 cup honey on top of the ham. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 8-10 hours on low or 4-6 on high.
  3. Remove the cooked ham from the slow cooker, carefully trim, and pour additional brown sugar honey glaze on top of ham.

*Make sure you get a bone-in ham. This recipe will turn out extremely dry if you have a spiral sliced ham!

Disclosure: I received the KitchenAid Slow Cooker for review and cooking purposes. KitchenAid sponsored me at a conference in 2012 and thus I am creating a series of videos for them. There are affiliate links in this post.  As always, all opinions are my own.

23 Responses to “Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Ham”

1. Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) posted on March 27, 2013 at 2:11 pm (#)

Twice in my life, I’ve actually liked ham steaks. If done well, and isn’t too salty, ham is a-okay. Not sure my distaste for it. I’ve never seen it in a slow cooker though!

• Katie replied on March 29th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Ashley, I’m similar to you–I think you would like it cooked this way. Give it a try (the next time you entertain).

2. Janet posted on March 28, 2013 at 12:26 pm (#)

LOVE this video – well done!

You only called the KitchenAid slow-cookier a “Crock Pot” once – I would have said crock pot every time!

You are such a pro!

xo

• Katie replied on March 29th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Thanks Janet… grr… the last time I watched it before processing I didn’t catch any! Oh-well goes to show I’m not perfect! lol.

3. Cassie | Bake Your Day posted on March 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm (#)

This is my kind of ham! I have never thought about doing a ham in the slow cooker either. It looks so perfect!

• Katie replied on March 29th, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Cassie, making your ham in the slow cooker will change your life forever!!!

4. Nutmeg Nanny posted on March 29, 2013 at 10:17 am (#)

Doesn’t it seem like each year passes quicker than the last?! So sad. This brown sugar honey glazed ham perks my mood up though :) a delectable ham is one of my favorite parts of Easter and this one looks amazing.

• Katie replied on March 29th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Brandy it honestly is scary how fast time is flying by! This ham helps it a little bit!

5. ellen posted on July 24, 2013 at 3:46 pm (#)

do you use the shank or butt part of the ham…

• Katie replied on July 31st, 2013 at 7:35 am

I use the pre-cooked sprial ham with bone-in.

6. Angie posted on August 11, 2013 at 12:28 am (#)

Is it necessary to use a slow cooker bag? Could I just grease the pot instead?

• Katie replied on August 13th, 2013 at 10:43 am

Hi Angie–no its not necessary just easier for clean up! I’m sure you could grease the pot and it will still work just fine. Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

7. Apple posted on April 1, 2014 at 9:48 am (#)

This (almost) looks simple enough that even I couldn’t mess it up, but I do have one question–and pardon the “duh-ness” and stupidity of it, but I’m curious as to what you mean by “trim” the ham? I’ve never cooked one before–is trimming a ham something a novice can do? Thank you–this recipe looks easy, simple and delicious!!

• Katie replied on June 9th, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Hi–sorry I couldn’t get to this sooner. I had a baby on 3/29 and just getting caught up on comments. I trimmed off the top of the ham so it would fit in my slow cooker. You’ll see what I did in the video. Hope you had the chance to try the recipe.

8. suz posted on April 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm (#)

like the recipe and using the bag for easy clean-up, yippee! Family likes raisins, so I’ll throw them in sometime. I also saw your recipe for slow cooker cobbler, which I will use during maine blueberry time and I have a house full. thank-you

• Katie replied on June 9th, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Glad you like both recipes Suz!

9. kristen posted on April 2, 2014 at 12:47 am (#)

Hi! I jut found this recipe from a link on Cafe Mom. This is fantastic! I make my ham with brown sugar and Coke, and this should work perfectly instead of hovering over the oven constantly. Also, I would just use a butt instead of my usual shank so it would fit better. Thanks – can’t wait to try it. :)

• Katie replied on June 9th, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Hi Kristen, Glad you like my recipe and hope you get to try it!

10. Jessica posted on April 14, 2014 at 7:26 am (#)

I am so excited to try this for easter!! Our oven recently decide to stop working so I was looking for a different way to cook a ham for easter. And this way definitely looks an sounds the best!! Thank you so much for sharing:)

• Katie replied on June 9th, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I hope you were able to try this recipe.

11. Justin posted on October 15, 2014 at 8:33 pm (#)

I’m confused about why an already cooked ham needs 8 hours in the slow cooker. I will probably finish mine in the oven because I like crispy sweet crust.

• Katie replied on October 30th, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Hi Justin. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I cook the whole ham in the slow cooker for 8 hours because I want it to get all the flavors of the “rub”. The key is to get a whole ham and not a pre-sliced. Pre-sliced will be extremely dry. I realize the ham is already cooked, but I like my ham hot. I don’t like a cool center. The point of this recipe is ease of entertaining! That’s why I do it in the slow cooker.

1. Pingback: 8 Crock-Pot Easter Recipes for a Tasty Dinner After Your Egg Hunt | Everyfoodrecipes, cooking tips, and how-to food videos—all rated and reviewed by millions of home cooks,make the perfect birthday cake, or plan your next holiday dinner.