We’re Cooking Up A New Addition…

We're Cooking Up A New Addition - KatiesCucina.com #Baby #Announcement

I know I’ve been pretty absent over the past few months and I have a great excuse…

We’re cooking up a new addition… my husband Jon and I are expecting a baby in March! We’ve been married for 5 years and the announcement is one that everyone has been waiting for. Now that I’m in my second trimester I feel safer about announcing to the world. Plus I wanted, my readers to know why I’ve been a little absent lately.

NightstandI don’t think that anyone could have prepared me for what the past 15 weeks have been filled with. No book, no friend, no family member… when people would warn me I would scoff (in my head) and think do these people not know me? I’m like the energizer battery. Well… I’ve had 1% energy over the past almost 4 months. Although I’m happy to report that I feel like I have 20% energy now.

The above photo is what my nightstand has looked like over the past few months. Although… I’ve not read an ounce of my food writing book. The non-stop 24-7 nausea hit me at about week 5 (right during the Food & Wine conference I attended this summer). It was also a bummer because they had amazing food and all I wanted was comfort food (like mashed potatoes, and more potatoes, and some veggies). And they definitely tempted me with lots of tuna tartar, fresh sushi, and luscious drinks. But… at the same time I some what didn’t have any desire to eat it. Funny how that works. Saltines were my best friend over the past 10 weeks. I did get on a teddy graham and cheez-it crackers kick for a few weeks and then got really sick of them and now can’t stomach it.

I can not tell you how much Chobani I’ve consumed over the past 3.5 months. Every morning my loving husband makes me a smoothie that consist of apple Chobani, strawberries, banana, and spinach. Then for a mid morning snack I have a Chobani, and most night as my snack before bed (because you have to eat before bed–or at least I have to eat before bed or I get sick during the night) I have another Chobani… 3 greek yogurts every day! We have a full shelf dedicated to CHO!

picklesI haven’t had too many food cravings. I mean I’ve always LOVED pickles but now when I smell them I can’t eat just one or two. I need like five or six. Lucky for me, my office has a lot of catered lunches and typically we have lots of pickles left over… so you can find me in the break room picking up a handful of pickles.

ice cream snickers barsLately, I’ve been on a sweet quick. I’m not going overboard but I definitely get the craving and I need something sweet. Its not like I eat sweets morning noon and night, I just need something to satisfy my sweet tooth. Typically, if I have something sweet once a day I’m satisifed. I may or may not have bought a box of Ice Cream Snickers bars to have in my office freezer for an afternoon snack. Oh, and I’m totally obsessed with Mini Double Caramel Magnum Ice Cream Bars.

I’m also eating all things Mexican! I’ve been on the shredded chicken taco train lately with lots of fresh salsa. I’m making a few batches of fresh salsa each week (although it doesn’t agree with the heart burn that has already started, but its delicious so I eat it and suffer later). I use to be able to do lots of spicy food, but after trying a little spicy I soon found out that it was stronger than I ever could have imagined… so all my mexican food has been sans spicy!

Opal Apple from KatiesCucina.com

The other thing I’ve been digging is a lot lately is fresh veggies like cucumber slices and carrots and apple slices (not all at the same time). Which the apples are very appropriate since I just visited Washington state last weekend and learned all about apple harvesting and the process. Even more appropriate since my little baby is the size of an apple this week!

So… in a nutshell. That’s why its been a little quieter around here lately. I don’t know if I’ll share a lot about my pregnancy on Katie’s Cucina. I am adding a tab called “Katie’s Bambino” that will deal with all things baby. If you want to keep up, hop over to my DIY blog Sew Woodsy where I know I’ll be sharing a bit more.

Disclaimer: None of these brands know I’m writing about them… its just what I’ve been eating lately.

55 Responses to “We’re Cooking Up A New Addition…”

1. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel posted on October 7, 2013 at 7:54 am (#)

Best reason for an absence :) Congrats again!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Ha ha thanks Rachel… and another reason I was a bit scatter brained with the Apple A Day post! ;)

2. Caroline @ chocolate & carrots posted on October 7, 2013 at 8:00 am (#)

I was the same way. I couldn’t even look at food, let alone write about it on the blog! Congratulations again Katie! :D

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Thanks Caroline!

3. Rachel Cooks posted on October 7, 2013 at 8:38 am (#)

So excited for you! I had nine months of sickness so I can relate. Sounds like you’re feeling a bit better now though — yay! Can’t wait to follow along with the bambino posts! :) YAY!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Eek! Rachel–Everyone warned me it could be like that my whole pregnancy. I’m just so thankful I feel better right now.

4. Marianna posted on October 7, 2013 at 9:12 am (#)

Congratulations…so happy for you!!!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Thank you!

5. Amy @ The Nifty Foodie posted on October 7, 2013 at 9:33 am (#)

Congratulations!! :-)

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Thanks Amy–so now you know why I was so eager to ride so many rides at Disney back in May (in anticipation for no rides for a while)! :)

6. Terri/LoveandConfections posted on October 7, 2013 at 9:47 am (#)

So excited and happy for you. Believe me, I know that whatever anyone says to you cannot prepare you for any of it. Glad you are feeling better!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Yes–so true, Terri!

7. Samantha posted on October 7, 2013 at 9:48 am (#)

I’m super excited for you guys! Congrats! :D!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Thanks!

8. Meagan @ A Zesty Bite posted on October 7, 2013 at 10:09 am (#)

Congrats!!!! I am so excited for the both of you! I felt like crap my first trimester and all I wanted to do was sleep. I’m glad you are getting your energy again!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Thanks Meagan. Yes–I did lots of sleeping and could still use a nap daily, but life gets too busy and that just doesn’t happen.

9. Karyn - Pint Sized Baker posted on October 7, 2013 at 10:12 am (#)

So exciting. I was so fortunate that I didn’t experience any morning sickness. I hope you feel better soon and are back up to 100% before baby arrives, because after that you’ll be back down to 20% for a while. It’s all worth it.

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Karyn! :) Fingers crossed I get a little energy back!

10. Angie | Big Bear's Wife posted on October 7, 2013 at 10:12 am (#)

Love the photo! :) Congratulations, Katie!!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Thanks Angie! It also gives everyone a sneak peak into our new kitchen… not much but a little!

11. Lenore posted on October 7, 2013 at 10:29 am (#)

Congratulations again, Katie! My whole first trimester I swear all I could stomach was Kraft blue box (but only if I are it one noodle at a time…so weird!) and then the spicy cravings kicked in! So excited for you, and I’ll be looking for updates on Sew Woodsy for sure!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

OMG… too funny! Yes, I totally went through a week of eating lots of Kraft macaroni and cheese. Oh, and a week or two of non-stop frozen pizza rolls. Stuff I would never eat in a million years not pregnant! lol.

12. Christine (Cook the Story) posted on October 7, 2013 at 10:38 am (#)

Congratulations (again) my friend! I am so happy for you.

The thing I most craved, especially in my first pregnancy, was fresh cold veggies. I had a big ice berg lettuce salad like every day. I could not get enough of that cold crunchy stuff that I usually turn my nose up at in favor of healthier greens. But also cucumbers (like you) and bell peppers. And cold fresh fruit. I even found myself turning away from my favorite ice cream flavors (like rocky road) in favor of fruitier options. I loved sorbet and cherry or strawberry flavored ice creams and milkshakes.

Hugs to you! I hope you’re feeling better.

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Thank you again! :)
      LOL… too funny! Glad to read I’m not the only one who ate lots of fresh produce while pregnant! :)

13. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction posted on October 7, 2013 at 11:29 am (#)

Congratulations! So excited for you!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Thanks Jessica!

14. danielle posted on October 7, 2013 at 11:42 am (#)

Congratulations to you both – I’m so excited for you guys!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Thanks Danielle! :)

15. Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes posted on October 7, 2013 at 12:18 pm (#)

Congrats, Katie! What an exciting new development!

• Katie replied on October 7th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Thanks Meagan!

16. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen posted on October 7, 2013 at 4:46 pm (#)

Congratulations to you and hubby, Katie! Wishing you all the best for an easy pregnancy as well as smooth labor and delivery. Thanks for sharing! xo

• Katie replied on October 8th, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Thanks Stacy. Your the first to wish for a smooth labor and delivery. I honestly can’t even think about that yet! lol.

17. Ricky L posted on October 7, 2013 at 5:07 pm (#)

Huge congrats to you guys Katie!!!! Can’t wait for the arrival of the new addition to the family. I am looking forward to finding out when this bun comes out of the oven!

Your friend and neighbor,

Ricky

• Katie replied on October 8th, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Ricky! End of March is what they tell us! :)

18. Ricky L posted on October 7, 2013 at 5:08 pm (#)

ps ive been on a pickle binge lately too, try the boars head kosher dill pickles in the deli section at publix. they are amazingggggg

• Katie replied on October 8th, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Oh… I know all about the Boars Head kosher dill pickles…

19. Olivia @ Liv Lives Life posted on October 7, 2013 at 5:52 pm (#)

Congratulations!! What great news!

• Katie replied on October 8th, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Thanks Olivia!

20. Laura posted on October 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm (#)

Congratulations, Katie! Wishing you all the best!

• Katie replied on October 8th, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Thanks Laura!

21. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted on October 7, 2013 at 11:17 pm (#)

What a cute and happy announcement! Congrats to you both :) xo

• Katie replied on October 8th, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Thanks Kiran!

22. Chelai J. posted on October 8, 2013 at 10:21 am (#)

Congratulations! Ginger Candy is my pregnancy cure for nausea. You can get it at the healthfood store if the feeling creeps up on you.

• Katie replied on October 8th, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Thanks Chelai–I’ve tried them and they haven’t seemed to really help :(

23. Ida D. posted on October 8, 2013 at 1:12 pm (#)

Congratulations! Hopefully the morning sickness will be gone soon. Enjoy it! The peace and quiet is awesome :-)

• Katie replied on October 8th, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Thanks Ida!

24. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) posted on October 9, 2013 at 10:35 am (#)

KATIE! Congratulations!!!! So happy for you–and I hope you start feeling a little better!

• Katie replied on October 10th, 2013 at 7:03 am

Thank you Kayle!

25. Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake posted on October 9, 2013 at 10:47 am (#)

Congratulations!!! I am so super excited for you!! Glad you are starting to feel better. Cheez-Its were all I wanted in my first trimester too and now I can’t even think about eating them.

• Katie replied on October 10th, 2013 at 7:03 am

Thanks Stephanie! That is too funny that someone else ate boxes of Cheez-Its too! :)

26. Cassie | Bake Your Day posted on October 9, 2013 at 10:08 pm (#)

Many many congrats, Katie! I’m so happy for you and glad you are gaining some energy back!

• Katie replied on October 10th, 2013 at 7:01 am

Thanks Cassie!

27. Dianna posted on October 15, 2013 at 9:52 pm (#)

I’m totally late to the party over here… but CONGRATULATIONS!!! So exciting! Wishing you a wonderful pregnancy! :)

• Katie replied on October 17th, 2013 at 8:39 pm