Pesto Tortellini Salad
I’m always looking for a good non-mayo based salad to entertain with year round, but especially in the summer. A few month back I co-hosted my best friends bridal shower. One of my tasks was to coordinate our lunch. Even though I was traveling 3 hours north I still planned to cook quite a bit. A week prior to the shower a coworker of mine shared the most amazing pesto tortellini salad with me. It was full of flavors, fresh, and at that moment I instantly knew it was going to replace the tried and true pasta salad I regularly make. He had created the recipe and I then adapted the recipe to the brides liking.
Since my friend created the recipe he never wrote it down–not intending to share the recipe with anyone. So we talked about the ingredients he used, and then I went to work on measurements and what not. The pasta salad was a huge hit at my best friends bridal shower, and I will definitely be making this pesto based salad (no mayonnaise people–perfect for summer time picnics) over and over again this summer and year round!
Speaking about summer… Maggie from Midwestern Girl DIY and Kristin from A Simply Klassic Home are hosting a Ready 4 Summer Blog Party this week! If you have a great summer recipe you’d like to share make sure you got to Maggie and Kristin’s blogs and link up your favorite recipe.
I am contributing this super simple and healthy salad for their blog party! Make sure you go check out The Gunny Sack to see what dish she is bringing to the party!
|Pesto Tortellini Salad||
- 1 package of refrigerated whole wheat tortellini
- 1/2 bag of spinach
- 1/4 cup refrigerated pesto
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup artichoke hearts, drained
- 3 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large pot boil water and cook tortellini according to directions. During the last 30 seconds of cooking add the spinach and wilt. Drain the pasta and spinach and place in a large bowl.
- In a small saute pan toast the pine nuts until they are golden brown then set to the side.
- In the large bowl with the tortellini and spinach add the pesto, sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, toasted pine nuts, and grated parmesan cheese. Mix well until incorporated. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and serve cold.