Mint-Infused Simple Syrup

Mint-Infused Simple Syrup

My husband and I grow a wide variety of herbs and vegetables in our home. One herb that doesn’t get used as often as I’d like is mint. The only reason why we grow it is for mojito’s–but we don’t make them that often, so I find myself always clipping back the mint and giving it away to friends and family.

Mint-Infused Simple Syrup

My husband is the worlds biggest mojito fan–me not so much. I wanted to make a batch of peach mojito’s (which I’ll be sharing later this month), but I didn’t want all the excess mint. That’s when a lightbulb clicked on and I decided to infuse the simple syrup I was making with mint! Can I just tell you that not only does your house smell fantastic this super simple syrup can be used in so many different ways. Stay tuned… I have a few recipes up my sleeve with the sweet concoction I’ve created.

Mint-Infused Simple Syrup

Mint-Infused Simple Syrup

Prep Time: 1 minute

Yield: 2 pint mason jars

• 2 cups White Sugar
  • 2 Cups Water
  • 10 sprigs of mint

1. In a large sauce pan combine the water and sugar on medium heat. Carefully, mix the ingredients well over the heat making sure to not splash anything out of the pot. Once the sugar has dissolved (about 5 minutes) place the washed mint springs in the pot. Turn the heat off and let the mint seep for 5 minutes.
  2. Carefully pour the syrup into 2 pint size mason jars. Divide the sprigs of mint evenly amongst the jar. Let the jars rest until they reach room temperature then seal and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

16 Responses to “Mint-Infused Simple Syrup”

1. Ali @ Gimme Some Oven posted on July 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm (#)

Mmmmm….this seems very mojito-ish to me. Can’t wait to see what you do with it! :)

• Katie replied on July 11th, 2012 at 11:45 am

I’ve got 2 recipes publishing within the next week with this sinful syrup!

2. Sommer@ASpicyPerspective posted on July 11, 2012 at 10:20 am (#)

What a GREAT idea!! Using it this weekend!

• Katie replied on July 11th, 2012 at 11:44 am

Thanks Sommer! I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I have!

3. Mark posted on July 11, 2012 at 11:12 am (#)

Will have to try this out! My wife loves Mojito’s but doesnt like all mint bits that tend to float around in the drink.

• Katie replied on July 11th, 2012 at 11:45 am

Mark–this is exactly why I created this syrup! I hate the mint bits! Stay tuned I’ll have a mojito recipe out next week!

4. Cassie posted on July 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm (#)

Love this, Katie! So refreshing.

5. Ashley Bee @ Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine posted on July 11, 2012 at 2:18 pm (#)

I did this with jalapenos. It was definitely an awesome sensation–sweet sweet with a huge spicy kick!

• Katie replied on July 11th, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I love the idea of infusing the syrup with jalapenos! Brilliant!

6. Leah posted on July 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm (#)

I’ve got a few questions for you regarding this
    1. Why the one week shelf life? I’m assuming it’s due to the mint included. Will plain simple syrup last longer? I want to make some for drinks and such but there’s no way I could use that much in one week.
    2. If I wanted to make cinnamon simple syrup, which I do, would it be better to use ground cinnamon or a cinnamon stick? Would either work?

+I found your blog through foodgawker.com and I’m in love! I’ll be coming back soon for your tips on making ice cream!

• Katie replied on July 16th, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I think plain simple syrup would last longer and if you removed the mint pieces from the jar you could store it for longer; however, i’m not 100% sure so I don’t want to tell you that you can keep it for longer and then your syrup goes bad and you get sick. Homemade food without preservatives in general should not be stored longer than a week.

As for making cinnamon simple syrup I would give the cinnamon stick in the simple syrup a try first… however, i’ve never infused with cinnamon, so I’m not 100% sure. Remember, I’m a home cook and have never been culinary trained! Thanks again for stopping by and I’m glad you enjoy my blog! -Katie

7. Patricia posted on September 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm (#)

Does anyone know if the mint-infused simple syrup can be preserved (canned) using the water bath method? I’m assuming I would need to add some acid – and would probably use lime. I want to make mojitos in the dark cold of winter to give me hope that summer will return.

• Katie replied on September 4th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hi Patricia, I have no idea–I’ve never canned. I can ask on my Facebook Fan Page for your and see if I get any responses. I would make a batch as a trial run and see how it lasts into the winter. I can definitely tell you that you will want to remove the mint leaves from the jar.

1. Pingback: Mixed Berry Mint Slushies Recipe | the little kitchen