Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup

slow cooker lemon chicken orzo soup

I’m back today with a slow cooker lemon orzo soup recipe. I’ve made this recipe a few times now over the past 9 months and its been a big hit. Plus, who doesn’t love to let the slow cooker do all the work? I adore my KitchenAid Slow Cooker. It is perfect for entertaining because of the easy serve lid. Each side lifts and locks which is convenient for one-handed serving. No need to find a place to put the lid! I also love that my slow cooker has 4 temperature settings! I also love that its oval and not round. Not that it matters when you’re cooking soup, but if you’re roasting meet it’s a nice feature to have.

lemon chicken orzo soup in the slow cookerThe slow cooker lemon chicken orzo soup is chocked full of veggies, chicken, and flavor and makes enough to feed an army! I also love that it doesn’t really require a lot of ingredients. For instance, you only need 2 boneless skinless chicken breast. From the looks of the soup you would think I used a few pounds of chicken. A few veggies, nothing over the top, plus one cup of orzo pasta and you’ve got yourself a heart soup! You can prep your veggies the night before and place them in a container or a baggie to dump into the slow cooker the next morning or spend a few extra minutes in the morning prepping dinner.

Each time I’ve made this soup I’ve given a nice large container to my neighbor to enjoy. One of the times, she was sick and it just worked out perfect. Who doesn’t love a big bowl of homemade soup when your sick? So whether your up north and still battling the frigid temperatures, starting to come down with a cold, or maybe just craving a simple comforting meal; give my recipe for slow cooker lemon chicken orzo soup a try!

I created this original recipe for Food Fanatic.

Disclaimer: I’m a contributor to Food Fanatic and receive compensation for developing recipes. As always all opinions are my own.

13 Responses to “Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup”

1. keri @ shaken together posted on March 19, 2014 at 5:47 pm (#)

This sounds amazing! Great Spring soup – pinning to try one weekend :)

• Katie replied on March 23rd, 2014 at 9:53 am

Thanks Keri!

2. Meagan @ A Zesty Bite posted on March 20, 2014 at 8:49 am (#)

Love this soup and it will come in handy once you have the baby.

• Katie replied on March 23rd, 2014 at 9:53 am

Yes–that’s the plan and I froze some too so we can enjoy it later on too.

3. Christine from Cook the Story posted on March 20, 2014 at 9:59 am (#)

Slow cooker soups are the best! Pinned and shared!

• Katie replied on March 23rd, 2014 at 9:52 am

Thanks Christine–I agree and best of all I froze some of this soup so when baby arrives we can enjoy a few bowls.

4. Wanda @MySweetZepol posted on March 20, 2014 at 7:52 pm (#)

I love orzo and this soup sounds like one dish I would also love. Plus, I think I have all the ingredients needed to make it. Question, how much of the Lemon should I use? The recipe didn’t say. Hugs sweet girl.

5. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet posted on March 20, 2014 at 9:11 pm (#)

Love lemon chicken and love slow cooker soups! This sounds fabulous! Pinned!

• Katie replied on March 23rd, 2014 at 9:45 am

Thanks Anna!

6. Jessica posted on March 26, 2014 at 7:49 pm (#)

What about the lemon? The recipe doesnt mention it…

Thanks,

7. Beth posted on April 3, 2014 at 3:10 pm (#)

Looks great…how much lemon do you use???

8. Lori posted on April 9, 2014 at 4:53 pm (#)

I have this cooking right now – but just noticed, where’s the lemon??

• Katie replied on April 10th, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Hi Lori–sorry about that. That would be pregnancy brain for you! You’ll want to use 1 lemon. Zest the lemon and add the zest in with step 1. Then before you ladle the soup into the bowls you’ll want to add all the lemon juice just before serving. Enjoy!