Instant Pot Turkey Stock
Transform your leftover turkey carcass and fresh vegetables into a flavorful stock in minutes using the Instant Pot electric pressure cook.
I love making homemade stock, and I always make stock from my leftover turkey carcass. I mean, why not? It’s full of flavor and essentially an inexpensive broth to make with way more flavor then you would ever get in the store. Since owning an Instant Pot–I’ve started experimenting with all sorts of recipes that I normally make either on the stove top or in the slow cooker. Each time I’m wowed and amazed by the magic of the electric pressure cooker! I feel like the stock I make in the Instant Pot has even more flavor then what I would normally get from the other methods.
I know the pictures are the most mouthwatering photos I’ve ever snapped–because let’s face it. Photographing stock isn’t the sexiest to look at, but dang is it delicious. Since I make turkey breast I use my turkey breast carcass. Depending on the size of your turkey will depend if you need to break it apart. I also add in the traditional carrots, celery and onion trio with some herbs and lots of water. The Instant Pot has a line where it indicates the max amount you can fill it. I pretty much max it out because I want tons of stock. In fact, this recipe I was able to make two pots of soup. I’ll be sharing both recipes this week. In the meantime though if your looking for more ways to use up your turkey leftovers check out my recipes for turkey & wild rice soup (I have a dairy free instant pot recipe I’ll be posting on Friday stay-tuned), potato corn chowder with turkey, and turkey & stuffing dumpling soup to name a few. So if you have an Instant Pot–fire it up the day after Thanksgiving and make this delicious turkey stock! If you don’t have one I suggest you buy one on Black Friday!
Instant Pot Turkey Stock
Yield: 10 cups
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 4.5 lb turkey breast carcass
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1/8 teaspoon dehydrated minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 10 cups of water
- salt and pepper, if desired
- Place the turkey carcass in the Instant Pot. Prep the vegetables, chop the celery stalks in to 2-3 inch pieces, peal and chop onion in half, and peal carrots, and chop into 2-3 inch pieces. Place in the Instant Pot
- Add in the dehydrated minced garlic, thyme, and parsley. Pour the water on top.
- Seal lid and make sure the valve is in the "sealing" position. Select "soup/broth" mode and set the Instant Pot to 15 minutes.
- Once the broth is done, let it naturally release pressure for 15 minutes. Then, carefully force pressure. Carefully remove the lid. Begin to remove the turkey carcass from the pot. Set the vegetables and any excess turkey meat to the side. Using a fine mesh colander, place it in a large bowl. Carefully strain the broth into the colander. This will ensure you've removed all the bones from the stock. Season the stock with salt and pepper if desired. Enjoy the broth as is, or transform into a soup (use the leftover cooked vegetables and turkey), or freeze for later use. If freezing, cool to room temperature, then freeze in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
Katie Original Recipe