Don’t waste the turkey carcass instead boil it down and learn how to make the most delicious and flavorful turkey stock!
I have a public service announcement to make today. DO NOT throw away your turkey carcass. You can make the most decadent turkey stock your mouth has ever consumed, and even better it’s so easy. It is a set-it and forget it kind of endeavor. Just like I showed you how to make chicken stock from a store-bought rotisserie chicken. You can do the same thing with that prized bird you and your family just consumed.
If you don’t stuff the bird this will be a gluten free stock. Perfect for guest with allergies. I plan to make a big pot of soup the day after thanksgiving for lunch for my family and I! By making my own turkey stock I’m not only saving money but capitalizing on all those delicious flavors from the turkey carcass. After carving all the meat off the carcass (or at least as much as humanly possible) I wrap up the carcass and place it in my refrigerator for the next day. And after it’s boiled down I was able to pull any additional meat that might have been left on the carcass to put back in my soup. Later this week I’ll be sharing the most delicious turkey chowder recipe I’ve ever tasted. I can’t wait to make it for all my family. But until then… make this stock and save it to make the most delicious pot of turkey soup you’ve ever consumed!
How to Make Turkey Stock
- 1 turkey carcass for the purpose of this recipe I used a 6.5lb turkey breast
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 3 stalks celery sliced in 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion quartered
- 1/2 cup of sliced white mushrooms
- 1 bunch Italian Flat Leaf Parsley
- 8 Sage leaves on stem
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 16 cups water
- Place the turkey carcass, veggies, herbs, and salt and pepper in a large stock pot. Pour 16 cups of water into the stock pot.
- Bring to a boil on high for about 10 minutes then reduce to low and let simmer for 2 hours (or longer).
- Strain the stock over a mesh strainer into a large bowl. Use stock immediately or freeze for another day.