Change up the way you use up leftover turkey and make my easy recipe for Potato Corn Chowder with Turkey!
Every year I typically make the same things over and over again with my leftover turkey; traditional turkey soup, Turkey Tetrazzini, Chipotle Turkey & Black Bean Soup, and Turkey & Stuffing Dumpling Soup. I wanted to “spice” up this year’s turkey soup and make more of a “chowder”. I used the turkey stock I made as the base in a large stock pot. I also used a package of instant mashed potatoes to thicken up and make this “chowder” cook a bit quicker. I didn’t have any more leftover mashed potatoes on hand–however, you can easily substitute leftover mashed potatoes instead of the packaged potatoes. I haven’t tested it but if I had to make an educated guess I would say to add about 2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes. That should do the trick and give you the same creamy potato consistency. And if you want to get really crazy add in a few unsealed diced potatoes on top of the packet potatoes. I didn’t do this but plan to do this the next time I make the soup to make an even heartier soup!
The secret ingredient in this soup… smoked paprika! A little goes a long way. Of course if you like a spicy soup you could always add in some red pepper flakes. Sadly, spicy food and I know longer mix. It all started last summer when I found out I was pregnant. I instantly wasn’t able to handle any spice. I worked years to build up my spicy food tolerance and just like that down the toilet… literally. I digress… if your looking for a change in the normal leftover turkey soups… this potato corn chowder with turkey is the magic recipe for you and your family!
Katie Original Recipe
Potato Corn Chowder with Turkey
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms diced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp diced parsley
- 2 oz. package of potato flakes original mashed potatoes
- 8 cups turkey stock
- 2 cups turkey diced
- In a large stock pot, melt the unsalted butter, add the red bell pepper, carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, and frozen corn.
- Cook on high for 5 minutes until vegetables are soft (stirring often). Then reduce to medium and cook for an additional 10 minutes (stir as often as needed--if vegetables start to stick add a little stock to the pot). Season vegetables with salt, pepper, smoke paprika, and parsley.
- Add the potato flakes and mix for 30 seconds coating the vegetables with the powder flakes. Then add in the turkey stock.
- Stir well and add turkey. Simmer for 20 minutes--soup will begin to thicken. Ladle soup into bowls and enjoy.