Woo–last week was quite the week. We got back from vacation and then I had major server issues for both my blogs on Friday. You might notice that I’m missing a few of my blog post from last week. I will slowly get them added back to the blog over the next week. Great lesson learned–pay the extra money for a backup system. You can only imagine what I’ll be doing this week (besides re-writing multiple blog post)!
Last Monday, (the day after being home from our 8-day cruise) I finally made dinner after 8 glorious days of being cooking free. Believe it or not–food bloggers like to take a break from cooking too! We get burnt out just like everyone else or at least I can speak for myself and say that I definitely get in ruts in the kitchen. It’s always nice to come back from vacation because I always feel ten-times more inspired to create delicious recipes. While lounging on the lido deck during one of our days at sea I flipped through my most recent issue of Better Homes and Garden. This recipe for Lime Couscous with Veggies jumped out at me. Not only do I love veggies–I adore couscous. My husband, though… not so much.
This was the first meal I made, upon arriving home from the cruise. In my mind, it was the perfect meal and one that I was looking forward too after
gorging my face eating my share of food around the cruise ship. Light and fluffy couscous with pine nuts and fresh vegetables. The lime vinaigrette dressing that goes on top is brilliant! This dish would be just as tasty both hot or cold! The side dish or even main dish screams summers. I served this with grilled boneless skinless chicken breast the night I made this.
*If you are looking for a 100% vegetarian option make sure you check out the couscous you are using. Most pre-package couscous mixes use a chicken base for flavoring.
Lime Couscous with Veggies
- 1 10 oz. package of couscous
- 4 carrots sliced into 1-inch peices
- 1 zucchini quareterd lentgwise and sliced into half-inch peices
- 1 summer squash quareterd lentgwise and sliced into half-inch peices
- 1/2 lb asparagus cut into 2-inch peices
- 5 green onions diced
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- parmesean cheese for topping
- Prepare couscous according to package directions (I like to use my rice cooker, but that's up to you).
- While couscous is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Cook and stir carrots in hot oil for 2 minutes. Add zucchini, yellow summer squash, asparagus, and green onion. Cook and stir 6 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
- Once couscous is done, transfer couscous to large bowl and fluff with a fork. Top with cooked vegetables.
- Using a screw-top jar, combine lime juice, oil, honey, salt, and black pepper. Cover and shake well. Pour over couscous mixture; toss to combine. Top with grated parmesean cheese.