Today, we have Liz from Books n’ Cooks sharing a recipe for Salad with Pear Vinaigrette. Liz and I met in real life 2 years ago at Mixed.
Hello Katie’s Cucina readers!
I’m Liz from Books n’ Cooks. I first met Katie and discovered her blog a couple of years ago, at a foodie conference we attended together. I am usually a bit quiet when I meet new people, but it was easy to open up and chat with Katie, and not just because we have a love of food in common. Katie has an infectious bubbly personality and I immediately liked her. I’ve enjoyed reading Katie’s blog over the past few years, so I was flattered when Katie asked me to guest post while she’s enjoying her maternity leave.
Earlier this year, I was asked to bring salad to our semi-monthly book club dinner. I was looking forward to having a low maintenance contribution considering how busy my weekends have been lately, but I didn’t want low maintenance to mean boring. Enter: this salad. It felt appropriate to me – with wintery pears and summery blueberries fitting the 60 degree weather in February and March (well, 60 degrees on those weeks where we didn’t have snowstorms). The fresh and dried fruit make the salad super flavorful and visually stunning. It was anything except boring.
Adapted from Prevention RD
Salad with Pear Vinaigrette
Ingredients for the Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 a pear roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbs. dried cranberries
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 5 oz. your favorite lettuce or salad green
- 3/4 a pear finely sliced or chopped
- 1 c. fresh blueberries
- 1/3 c. dried cranberries
- 1/2 c. walnut pieces toasted
- In a food processor, pulse pear, garlic, cranberries, salt and pepper briefly. With the mixer running, add vinegar and olive oil until smooth. Add equal portions of additional olive oil and vinegar until desired consistency. Vinaigrette will keep for about a week in the fridge.
- Toss all salad ingredients, except the walnuts. Add walnuts just before serving.