Crock Pot Jambalaya

Ever since visiting New Orleans earlier this year I’ve really had a greater appreciation for all cajun food. One in particular. Jambalaya. Last month a coworker and close friend of mine was telling me about this awesome new crock pot recipe she found I knew I had to try it. It had all the ingredients that my husband would love and I really did enjoy eating Jambalaya in New Orleans.

I wasn’t sure about the andouille sausage, but decided to give it a shot. Woah, buddy. It gave the spiciness that this dish deserved! I’ve made this meal a few times now and have found it’s best with the rice cooked in with the meal. It will take an additional 2 hours give or take. Be prepared but know that its well worth the wait. If you get home at 5 your meal is almost done cooking. Add the rice in followed by shrimp and you’ll have dinner on the table by 7. If you aren’t patient and don’t want to eat that late then cook the rice on the side and spoon a generous portion of the jambalaya on top of the rice.

Update since making this recipe in 2011. I make this meal once a month. I now like to make my rice separately in a rice cooker. I will drain as much of the liquid from the crock pot and place that liquid into the rice cooker. This yields a flavorful rice and the recipe won’t take nearly as long. This is a spicy dish, and the andouille is what gives this crock pot jambalaya the spicy kick.

Print Recipe

Crock Pot Jambalaya

Let your crock pot do the work. Make Jambalaya at home! With a little prep work you'll have a meal fit for a New Orleans king!

Cook Time: 8 hours 30 minutes

• 2 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning
  • 1 tsp hot sauce
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 pound frozen peeled shrimp, thawed
  • 2 cups white long grain rice
  • Fresh chopped parsley as garnish

Directions:

1. Prepare the ingredients for the crockpot: cut chicken, dice sausage, and chop the onion, green bell pepper, and celery stalk.
  2. In the crock pot combine chicken, sausage, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery, and chicken broth. Stir in oregano, cajun seasoning, hot sauce, bay leaves, and thyme. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
  3. Once the contents in the crockpot are done cooking, carefully remove the liquid. You will use this liquid to cook your rice in a separate pot. Cook the rice according to package directions using as much jambalaya liquid as possible;( 2 cups rice needs 4 cups liquid). Typically I can get 2 cups of liquid from the crock pot so I'll use an additional 2 cups water. While rice is cooking, stir in the thawed shrimp in the crockpot, cover and cook until the shrimp are cooked (about 30 minutes). Once rice is done mix into the crock pot. Discard bay leaves, add fresh chopped parsley if desired, and serve.

*If preparing the night before store the crock pot ingredients in a ziplock freezer bag or large tupperware in the refrigerator.
*I cook my rice in a rice cooker using as much liquid from the jambalaya as possible. This adds flavor to the rice and makes it taste like its been cooking with the jambalaya for hours.

Disclaimer: There are affiliate links in this post. If you click on them and purchase I will make a percentage of the sale!

50 Responses to “Crock Pot Jambalaya”

1. Danielle posted on November 30, 2011 at 9:18 pm (#)

Ive made Jambalaya in the crock pot a few times – it always comes out great! Yours looks fantastic.

2. Jessica posted on November 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm (#)

gonna try it :-D

3. Jacqueline posted on December 1, 2011 at 12:09 am (#)

This looks fantastic and your photo is wonderful too. I just love jambalaya.

4. Lamb Animals posted on December 20, 2011 at 11:15 am (#)

I got to try this one out. It seems like a similar version of the chinese dish Chao Fan or rice toppings.

5. Rachel posted on October 2, 2012 at 8:40 pm (#)

what kind of rice do you recommend using? I used Whole Foods white long grain (the same rice I use for stove top jambalaya). Unfortunately, your recipe did not appear to include enough liquid to properly cook the rice. I added 16 oz Miller Lite and 2 additional cups of broth and still have crunchy, inedible rice.

• Katie replied on October 15th, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Hi Rachel, I’m sorry to read that the recipe didn’t turn out for you. I have used both white long grain rice and basmati. The basmati turns to mush so long grain is the best choice. I’ve never had an issue with not enough liquid. If you add the rice into the crock pot you will need at minimum 2 hours. A quicker alternative is removing the liquid from the cooked jambalaya, add the shrimp to the crock pot (cooking that on high for 30 minutes) and then using the jambalaya liquid to cook your rice on the stove top or in a rice cooker. I’ve done this a few times as well to speed up the rice cooking process. Once the rice is done then I mix it into the crock pot and serve. I hope these few pointers help you achieve a delicious tasting meal.

6. Wenceslao Moreno posted on November 12, 2012 at 2:13 am (#)

I had the same problem, with the crunchy rice. It could be a quirk of my slow cooker vs. yours, but it’s not worth the risk. Cook the rice on the side, and dump it in with the shrimp. Such a shame. I’m pretty peeved, but, hey. I could eat it, but it was far from desired. Other than the unpleasantness, it is tasty. I doubled the cajun spice and hot sauce, too, but that’s me.

• Katie replied on November 19th, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hi Wenceslao, I’m sorry to read you had challenges with this recipe. I make it at least once a month for my family and we all enjoy the recipes. I’ve since made adjustments to the recipe. I almost always cook the rice separately utilizing the liquids from the crock pot. This gives the rice the additional flavoring yet it cooks quick (using a stove top or rice cooker method). I love to read when people adapt recipes. Every recipes is just based on taste and preference. If you like heat–kick it up a notch with additional hot sauce! I hope you’ll give this recipe a try again using my updated recipe.

7. Angie @ Big Bears Wife posted on December 6, 2012 at 12:04 pm (#)

I’ve never attempted this in a crock-pot but I love anything kind of meal that can be adapted into a slowcooker one! I’ll have to give it a try with the rice and without. Looks good, Katie!

• Katie replied on December 6th, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Thanks Angie. I probably make this recipe at least once a month!

8. Kate posted on January 13, 2013 at 5:33 pm (#)

Love the recipe! I made it but used ham instead of chicken. No problems with the rice – everything tasted great!

• Katie replied on January 13th, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Kate–I’m so glad to read you enjoyed this recipe. I make this once a month–it’s always a favorite in our house!

9. Melissa posted on January 22, 2013 at 8:48 am (#)

Sounds delicious! Silly question, but do you cook the sausage first? Or will it cut nicely before cooking? I haven’t cooked often with sausage…

• Katie replied on January 22nd, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Hi Melissa, I make this recipe once a month! Yes, the fresh sausage cuts very easily. I always like to use a serrated knife, but any sharp knife will do. The texture of the raw andouille sausage is similar to a hot dog. Hope that helps!

10. Carson S. posted on January 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm (#)

I just made this tonight and it was delicious. To solve the rice problem though I used left-over rice I had already cooked and just mixed it in at the last minute and let the rice warm up. Worked perfectly, just if you want a thicker Jambalaya I’d recommend putting less chicken broth than is called for.

• Katie replied on January 30th, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Carson, I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Yes, you could definitely just mix in leftover rice (and drain some of the excess liquid from the crock pot). Thank you for taking the time out to leave a comment. It is much appreciated.

11. kjasus posted on January 31, 2013 at 5:22 pm (#)

what about brown rice? can i just add it to the crockpot with everything else and add more liquid?

• Katie replied on January 31st, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Hi Kjasus, I have never tried this recipe with brown rice. I would safely say that you should cook it separately and add some of the crock pot juices to the rice that is cooking. Then mix the cooked rice in with the Jambalaya (draining any excess liquid in the crock pot). Good luck and if you make it with brown rice I would love to hear how it turned out.

12. laurasmess posted on September 3, 2013 at 10:53 am (#)

This looks delicious Katie! I’ve never made jambalaya before but I’ve heard of it before… sounds a little like paella (which I LOVE!)? I’ll give this a go some time soon. Good to read everyone else’s comments… seems like there’s a lot of variance in people’s cooking experiences. I’m curious to see how it all turns out.

• Katie replied on September 3rd, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Thanks Laura–yes, its similar to paella, except you don’t cook the rice all day long in the slow cooker (it would turn to mush)! :) Hope you get to try it one day soon.

13. Catherine posted on September 15, 2013 at 9:01 pm (#)

Do not put rice in crock pot! Mine was one big mush. Followed recipe exactly. It didn’t take 2 hours extra for rice. Rice done in less than hour on low and mush

• Katie replied on October 28th, 2013 at 7:49 am

Hi Catherine, sorry to read about our experience. I think it depends on the heating element in your slow cooker. In my slow cooker the rice took 2 hours and it wasn’t mushy at all; however, I’ve found that I enjoy making and eating this when I cook the rice on the side and straining out the liquid from the dish. Then once the rice is done I mix it all into the slow cooker and serve. I hope you’ll try the recipe again with my other option for the rice. It’s a great recipe that I make each month!

14. yvette posted on October 28, 2013 at 11:04 am (#)

Just put everything in the crock pot! Quick question…I want to cook the rice in the crockpot, but should I add any other liquid once I add the rice?

• Katie replied on October 29th, 2013 at 6:52 am

Yvette–you typically will have enough liquid to cook the rice within the crock pot. However, I highly advise you cook the rice separately before serving. Cooking times vary when cooking the rice with the rest of the jambalaya. I cook my rice on the side (using as much of the liquid as possible to cook the rice in) and then add it back to the slow cooker.

15. Amanda posted on October 30, 2013 at 7:12 pm (#)

Hello, this looks amazing, but I noticed that you said you get about two cups of liquid from it. My question is how do you make it thicker without hurting the taste and quality of the recipe?

• Katie replied on October 31st, 2013 at 7:46 am

I use the excess liquid to cook my rice. But if you aren’t cooking rice you can just strain the juice out into a separate container. Heat it on the stove top with a couple tablespoons of cornstarch to thicken it up… add one tablespoon at a time whisking the cornstarch and liquid together until its thick enough for you. Hope that helps!

16. Amanda posted on November 7, 2013 at 6:51 pm (#)

Just made this, Sooo yummy! To the people who’s rice came out crunchy, if you followed the directions it will come out perfect. Get 2 cups of the juice from the slow cooker, and two cups of water to that, bring it to a boil, add your 2 cups of rice to boil, cover, an reduce heat to low. Cook rice for about 20 minutes. Add rice to Jambalaya, mix and yum. I let mine cook for an additional 15 mins on low after adding rice. This was seriously some excellent stuff, everyone in my house licked their bowls and asked for seconds!! Thank you for the recipe!!!

• Katie replied on November 9th, 2013 at 9:25 am

Amanda I’m so happy to read this! Thank you for giving the recipe a try and I’m so glad that your family and YOU loved this recipe. It’s so good!

17. Jessica posted on December 17, 2013 at 5:59 pm (#)

I want to make this tomorrow but was wondering if I need to drain the tomatoes and if I need to use pre cooked shrimp?

• Katie replied on December 23rd, 2013 at 11:47 am

Hi jessica–sorry I’m just getting to this comment now. No need to drain the tomatoes and you can use raw shrimp. It cooks up fine in the slow cooker. Hope you enjoyed this as much as we do!

18. Meredith posted on March 6, 2014 at 11:08 am (#)

Just made this and it turned out great!!!! Only thing I may change next time is add more meat and use less rice. Otherwise, this will be added to the list of regulars. Thanks!!

• Katie replied on June 9th, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Meredith!

19. Whitney posted on June 26, 2014 at 7:04 pm (#)

This sounds wonderful! Jambalaya is one of my husband’s favorite meals. Question though. Can you just put the raw shrimp in at the beginning? Why must you wait until the end?

20. Vanessa posted on July 15, 2014 at 11:56 am (#)

Katie Hi! I loved this recipe. It turned out great for me twice now! I had to link it to my own cooking blog to share with friends! Thanks for the recipe!

• Katie replied on July 18th, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Vanessa, I’m glad you enjoyed it and that it turned out fine for you. It’s one of our favorite slow cooker recipes!

1. Pingback: Weekly Menu Plan

2. Pingback: Nutmeg Nanny » Egg White Tacos {Guest Post}

3. Pingback: 33 Tasty Crock Pot Recipes! - Five in Ohio

4. Pingback: Well it has been a while… | ritasfoodadventures

5. Pingback: Jambalaya And A Crawfish Pie And Filé Gumbo | Juli Page Morgan

6. Pingback: 30 Slow Cooker Recipes ... Dinner Ideas for Busy Families

7. Pingback: Pinterest Favorites | Houston Moms Blog

8. Pingback: 15 Delicious Crock Pot Meals - Sweet C's Designs

9. Pingback: Awesome Recipes for JambalayaFavorite Food Recipes

10. Pingback: Slow Cooker Recipes (over 60 ideas for you!) - * THE COUNTRY CHIC COTTAGE (DIY, Home Decor, Crafts, Farmhouse)

11. Pingback: Wyoming, My New Favorite Alien Planet | Bedelia