I found two recipes I liked, The Neelys and Paula Deen’s recipe. I spliced the two recipes to make my own. using a deep fryer works best for this recipe–allowing the tomatoes to cook evenly on both sides.
My husband has had fried green tomatoes once before and he wasn’t a big fan of them. He had one bite of mine and he was in love! Unfortunately, I only had one green tomato and one tomato that was under-ripe so I gave that one a try too. Ultimately, the under-ripe pinkish tomato didn’t work (which I had a feeling it wouldn’t work). We both had two slices of fried green tomato heaven! lol. My recipe is for my one tomato but if you have more tomatoes then just double up the recipe!
Fried Green Tomatoes with Cajun Ranch Dipping SaucePrint Pin Rate
- Deep fryer
- Oil for deep fryer
- 1 green tomatoes cut into 1/4-inch rings
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- In a deep-fryer, preheat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Season tomatoes, on both sides, with salt and pepper. Let them sit aside for a few minutes while the water starts to come out of them.
- Place flour, garlic powder, and cajun seasoning in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, beat the egg with the milk.
- Pat the tomatoes dry and then dredge tomatoes through the flour, then the egg wash, and then back in the flour mixture.
- Add only a few pieces to the fryer at a time, so they can cook evenly, about 3 to 5 minutes (depending on your deep fryer). Drain on paper towels and serve with Cajun Ranch dipping sauce.
Mix a 1/4 cup of ranch dressing with one tablespoon of cajun seasoning. Refrigerate until ready to serve alongside the fried green tomatoes.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links. If you make a purchase I will receive a percentage of the sale.