Craving soup but don’t have the time to make it? Try my recipe for 30 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup!
Are you ready for a quick cooking soup recipe?
Last month, I wanted to make a pot of soup but my window for firing up the slow cooker had long passed. So I did the next best thing–I poached chicken breast in chicken broth. By poaching the boneless skinless chicken breast on high the chicken was fully cooked in just 20 minutes! Then I added in the remaining ingredients and the soup is ready in 30 minutes! I put a 5 minute prep time because it takes me about 5 minutes just to dig spices out of my cabinet. So if your like me then it will take you 5 minutes to find your ingredients, but the best part is that you can do that during the time the chicken is poaching.
I brought this soup to my friends who had just had their second baby. Their entire family was getting over a cold, and although I know they aren’t typically soup people I figured they would appreciate a cooked meal. Even if it was soup. When I told them I brought them chicken tortilla soup they both were “souper” happy. Sorry I had to add that pun in there… I just couldn’t resist. I digress… the next day I received a text from both of them thanking me for the soup and wanting the recipe. When I told them I made the soup in just 30 minutes they were shocked! So I finally posted the recipe for them today so they can make a big pot of this for their family!
To add an additional layer to the Chicken Tortilla Soup I added in freshly diced avocado and a handful of shredded Mexican blend cheese. A good sharp cheddar would work too! And if you really want to get crazy you could add in a dollop of Greek yogurt.
So if your craving soup, reach into your pantry, gather the spices, black beans and corn and get to poaching your chicken breast! You’ll have soup in no time and both your body and soul will be warmed on these chilly winter days!
30 Minute Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 32 oz. Low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. Can corn drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked white or brown rice
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese avocado, and tortilla chips for serving
- Pour the chicken broth in a large stock pot then place the boneless chicken breast in the pot. Cook on high until boiling the rescued to medium-high and cook with lid on for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, drain and rinse the black beans and corn, set to the side. Once the chicken is cooked add in the dried onion flakes, chili powder, dried cilantro, cumin, paprika, black pepper, taco seasoning, lime juice, black beans, corn, and cooked rice. Mix well and simmer on medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with shredded cheddar cheese and fresh avocado slices. Enjoy with tortilla chips!