Treat your family to perfectly crunchy Flax Chia Coconut Yogurt Chicken Strips for an easy lunch or dinner meal!
Thank you Stonyfield Organics and Barlean’s for sponsoring this recipe. As always, all opinions are my own.
Are you in a dinner rut? Have a picky toddler that makes you feel like your the worst cook in America? Want a new recipe that is toddler and husband approved? Then I have the recipe for you… I would like to officially introduce you to my latest creation: flax chia coconut yogurt chicken strips! Yeah say that ten times fast. I double dare you. Okay, all kidding a side these chicken strips were a happy accident.
Here is a list of the ingredients you’ll need to make these crunchy chicken strips.
- Ritz Crackers
- Barlean’s Flax Chia Coconut Blend
- Plain yogurt
- Louisanna Hot Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Italian Seasoning
- Chicken Strips
- Coconut Oil
How to make homemade chicken strips
I had no intention of creating a new recipe for dinner the night I made these. I had planned on making butter cracker chicken strips. Chicken tenderloins dipped in ranch sauce and coated in crushed butter crackers. Bake them and voila dinner is served. And then I decided to use up my last container of Stonyfield Grassfed plain yogurt and mixed it with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Louisiana style hot sauce.
I tasted the yogurt mixture and was in love. Pretty sure I need to dabble with that some more because it was delicious! I see a new dressing in my future!
Then I crushed a sleeve of butter crackers and mixed it with a half cup of Barlean’s Flax chia coconut organic blend. It made me feel better about using the butter crackers and gave an additional layer of crunchy to my chicken strips. The flax chia coconut organic blend combines nature’s most nutrient-dense superfoods: Premium Ground Flaxseed, Chia Seed and Coconut, it’s high in Omega-3, and contains dietary fiber & plant-based protein. And like Stonyfield all of Barlean’s products are USDA Organic and Non-GMO. Two very important things to me.
I would typically bake my chicken strips but I was eager to try the Barlean’s Coconut Oil that they recently sent to me. Since coconut oil has a high smoke point I knew these chicken strips would be perfect for frying. The Organic Culinary Coconut Oil is flavorless and will not affect the taste of foods. Coconut oil does not contain any trans fat (the unhealthy kind) so that’s a plus too!
The chicken strips turned out amazing and full of crunchy goodness. I served them cut up for my picky toddler with a side of ranch dressing. He tore them up… like devoured and asked for seconds and thirds. And even loved the “crunchies” which was the breading on the plate. At first, my husband Jon, was annoyed he was getting “dip” and we weren’t.
I told Jon grab some ranch dressing too. I don’t care how you eat it–just east dinner! And I knew by giving our son some “dip” he would also devour it because he loves to dip just about anything. Including dipping his mashed potatoes in ranch dressing. Yep… but if he will eat it then I’ll let him dip away.
If your looking to try something new and have a picky toddler like me I invite you to try this easy Flax Chia Coconut Yogurt Chicken Strips recipe. Of course, you don’t have to tell you family that title–we can keep that between us. You can just tell them that they are having homemade chicken strips for dinner!
Side Dish Ideas
Here are a few of my favorite side dishes to serve with these chicken strips.
- Creamy Parmesan Orzo with Spinach
- Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Skinny Greek Yogurt Broccoli Salad
Flax Chia Coconut Yogurt Chicken Strips
- 1 sleeve butter crackers such as Ritz Crackers, crushed
- ½ cup Barlean's flax chia coconut
- 1 6 oz. Stonyfield Grassfed Plain Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 boneless skinless chicken strips
- 2 tablespoons Barlean's organic coconut oil
- In a shallow dish, mix together the crushed butter crackers and the flax chia coconut mix together. Set to the side.
- In an additional shallow dish, mix together the Stonyfield Grassfed plain yogurt, Louisiana hot sauce, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Mix well and set to the side.
- Preheat a skillet on medium heat, place 1 tablespoon coconut oil in the pan and let it melt. While the pan heats, pat dry the chicken strips, dip each chicken tenderloin in the yogurt mixture followed by dipping each chicken strip into the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a wire rack before cooking.
- Once the coconut oil has melted, place 4-5 chicken strips in the frying pan and fry on one side for 5 minutes, flip over and fry for an additional 3-5 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Farenheit. Remove from the pan and place on a clean plate. Clean out any breading that might have fallen off the chicken strips then add in the additional tablespoon of coconut oil. Repeat these steps until all the chicken strips are cooked. Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice!
Ashley @ Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
Love the mix of goodies in the crust for these chicken strips. I think my 4yo would LOVE them (and I’m quite a fan of chicken strips, myself!) 🙂
Thanks Ashley! Yes–I love how much good “hidden” stuff is in these chicken strips. My toddler has become the pickiest kid alive so I felt like I’ve hit the lottery with this recipe!