Are you ready for some football?!??! I am! Tis the season for lazy Sundays filled with football and great food. I think most people either have a love or hate relationship with football. I grew up with it–born a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I swear when my husband asked for my hand in marriage my dad made him take a vow that he would be a Steelers fan for life. Thankfully, he was never big into football so he adapted well into becoming a Steelers fan… now he is a little more die-hard than I am!
He also craves chicken wings… often. I on the other hand at times can be a little repulsed by the idea of eat meat off a bone. Remember, I’m not a big meat eater. So to satisfy my husbands cravings I created a new chicken wing recipe. Best of all, it doesn’t need any creamy (fattening) sauce to be dipped in. My wing marinade/sauce is all it needs. The night I made these I was a tad hesitant he might not like them since these aren’t your traditional hot wings. After repeating myself for a good five minutes and not hearing a response I knew I was golden. This was a match made in heaven! When he finally responded this is how he described them “the lime hits the tongue first, followed by the honey, then the fresh tasting cilantro–and the heat hits you at the end”. I was throwing around wing recipe names when he dubbed them as Key West Grilled Chicken Wings because the flavors remind him of Key West. So… I went with it.
Please note… you have to make the sauce recipe listed below TWICE! Once for marinating and once for drizzling on top.
Key West Grilled Chicken Wings
- 1.5 lbs chicken wings and drums
- 1 tablespoon cilantro minced
- 1 lime zest
- 1-½ limes juiced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 dried chili pepper minced
- 2 tablespoon honey + additional for drizzling over wings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a large bowl combine minced cilantro, zest of 1 lime, juice from 1-½ limes, minced garlic, ¼ teaspoon cumin, minced dried chili pepper, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Mix well until combined.
- Rinse and pat dry your chicken wings and place in a gallon size sealable baggie. Then pour mixture over chicken wings. Seal the bag, toss the wings, and let the chicken wings marinade for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Clean and then wipe grill grates with oil (on a thick coated paper towel using the cleaning brush so that your hands don't get burnt)! Place the chicken wings on the grill, close the grill, and let those babies cook for 5 minutes! While the wings are cooking make ANOTHER BATCH OF MARINADE! This will be used to pour over the wings once they are done cooking and on the plate.
- Turn your chicken wings, and lightly drizzle honey over the wings. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 165. Once the chicken wings are done place them on a plate. Pour your second batch of marinade over the wings, then drizzle additional honey on top of the wings.
Cooking on a Dime
Ooh lime, definitely Key West. I agree, this needs a margarita and it needs to get in my belly.
These are awesome! I love the key lime flavor!
Russell at Chasing Delicious
These wings look great! I haven’t made some in a long while. I am going to have to change that for this reipe.
These wings look awesome, Katie!! Love, love!!
I slept on my boyfriend last night while he watched the game…it was a win/win for both of us! Although I think he would have been way happier if he had had these to munch on!
lol you crack me up Joanne! These wings are fantastic!
Julie @ Table for Two
these wings are definitely perfect for a football game! i love the key lime flavor you did 🙂
Yes! I’m all over this amazing flavor combo!
Honey and lime! Chicken and Key West! All I need is a Margarita and some Jimmy Buffet music (: Awesome post!
lol you are too funny! Thanks for the kind comments!