Whether you want a delicious breakfast or make this for “brinner” this recipe for Potato Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Skillet will have your stomach satisfied.
Do you love breakfast as much as I do? I could honestly eat it 24 hours a day. Every weekend I always make a hot breakfast that always consist of at least eggs and potatoes. I try to switch it up every now and then and surprise my husband with a new breakfast recipe. He too loves breakfast. However, he isn’t the biggest fan of grinner. You know, breakfast for dinner. I on the other hand LOVE me some brinner.
We rarely go out to breakfast, but when we do dine out my husband always gets one of those meaty skillets. You know the ones that have hash browns and full of meat. So I decided to make a breakfast skillet for him. I defrosted a few breakfast sausage patties, broke them up in the skillet and then added some diced bell peppers and onions. Once the sausage was cooked I added in a bag of hash brown potatoes. I always keep a bag or two on hand–you can find them in the refrigerated section in the grocery store. I then mixed the sausage and peppers in with the hash browns and let it fry on one side for five minutes. I flipped it over and let it fry another five minutes, turned off the heat, and topped it with shredded mozzarella cheese. I figured I was going with the Italian theme and well, that’s the only type of shredded cheese I had on hand. I topped his skillet with a few fried eggs and breakfast was served. Even better, the baby was taking his morning nap, so we got to have breakfast in silence! It was like the old days, minus the baby toys spread all around our house and the monitor blaring in between us.
If you love breakfast skillets when you go out to eat, you should definitely think about making one of these at home the next time you make breakfast (or breakfast for dinner).
Potato Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Skillet
- 5 breakfast sausage patties *about ½ lb
- ½ cup multi-colored bell peppers diced
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 1 bag Simply Potatoes O'Brian Hash Browns
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a skillet on high heat cook the sausage patties, breaking them up into bite size pieces until almost cooked all the way through (no pink should be showing) about 5 minutes. Then add in the onions and mixed bell peppers. Stir and reduce heat to medium, let cook 2 minutes.
- Add in 2 tablespoons of butter and the package of hashbrowns. Season with paprika, black pepper, and parsley. Mix well and cook and one side for five minutes. Flip with a spatula and then cook for an additional 5 minutes until crispy. Top the skillet with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Serve immediately and with eggs on top if desired.