Thanks to Viva Italia Days at Publix: Hunts Tomatoes, Progresso™ Brand Products, Kraft Parmesan Cheese, Pillsbury™ Refrigerated Breads, Betty Crocker™ Cookies for sponsoring today’s blog post.
I feel like every well-rounded cook needs a simple marinara sauce recipe in there arsenal of go-to recipes. It dawned on me recently that I’ve been holding back quite a few go-to recipes from my readers. Over the next month I’ll be sharing all my favorite tried and true go-to recipes. Today, we will start with the classic simple marinara sauce recipe. I like to make a very large batch of this sauce. Serve it for dinner and then with the leftovers I freeze it so I always have sauce on hand at all times.
This simple marinara recipe is very easy to make and takes just 30 minutes. Of course there is nothing wrong with letting it sit on the stove top and simmer for hours. But when I’m in a crunch for time the sauce taste just fine after 30 minutes of cooking. What makes this sauce is using Hunts Crushed Tomatoes. I use 4 large cans to be exact and one 16 ounce can of Hunts Tomato Paste.
A good sauce needs lots of seasoning. I use the basic salt and pepper. I like crushed garlic in my sauce verse garlic powder. However if you don’t have fresh garlic on hand don’t sweat it use the garlic powder. I just prefer the texture of the pieces if garlic. I also like onion in my sauce. It adds to flavors as well as Italian seasoning and a secret ingredient… Sugar! Yes… I learned from my Great Aunt Theresa that sugar brings out the sweetness in the sauce. Just a few ingredients and best of all I always have them on hand. I make sure I always have a few extra cans of crushed tomatoes on hand! It’s a standard go-to in my house.
If you live in the South and shop at Publix Supermarkets you’ll be excited to learn that the Viva Italian sale is going on until March 4. All of your favorite brands on sale plus additional coupons you can print out and bring with you to the store. So whether your a novice chef or an experienced one I hope you enjoy my recipe for simple marinara sauce during the next pasta night at your house!
Simple Marinara Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 28 oz. cans of Hunts Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 28 oz. can of Hunts Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 12 oz. can of Hunts Tomato Paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- Pour olive oil in a large stock pot. Heat to high and add the minced garlic and diced onions. Cook for 1 minute until lions begin to turn translucent (stir often).
- Then add in the crushed tomatoes, petite diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Reduce heat to medium-low and mix well. Sprinkle in the Italian seasoning, dried basil, salt, black pepper, and sugar. Mix well again and place the lid on the stock pot. Reduce to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir often to ensure the sauce doesn't stick or burn to the bottom. Serve with your favorite pasta.