Lasagna Bolognese Roll-UpsPosted by Katie on Feb 19, 2014 in Italian, Katie Original, Main Dish, pasta | 23 comments
10+ years ago I was introduced to lasagna roll-ups. I thought it was the coolest concept. Forget layering noodle beyond noodle–roll them and serve them individually instead. I mean it makes sense. I always hate when I don’t have a full box of pasta left–then I’m forced to go out and buy another box of pasta only to be stuck with a few remaining noodles for a recipe.
I believe I first saw lasagna roll-ups on an episode of Rachael Ray. She made lasagna roll-ups with a béchamel sauce, I followed the recipe to a tee, since this was back when I wasn’t making recipes quite my own yet. Thankfully, my family loved them. To put my lasagna roll-up making in perspective, this was back when I was in college and living at home! That’s how far lasagna roll-ups date back for me.
I make lasagna roll-ups a few times each year. Probably quarterly, and when I do make them they are always chocked full of veggies. Never with meat. That’s just how I roll (no pun intended). I’m starting to make quite a few freezer meals in preparation for the little bambino’s arrival next month. I made a double batch of my bolognese sauce the other weekend. I portioned it out and saved 2 cups of sauce for me to use for lasagna. I had this crazy idea to make lasagna roll-ups and use my bolognese sauce instead of a traditional tomato sauce. Best of all, we only ate half the lasagna bolognese roll-ups, so I got to freeze the other half for the future when we are in need of a delicious and quick homemade meal!
In less than an hour you can have a delicious homemade lasagna bolognese roll-ups. They are easy enough to make after a busy day at the office–I promise! Of course, serve it up with a salad and garlic bread.
Katie Original Recipe
- 9 Lasagna Noodles
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 4 oz Light Cottage Cheese
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp shredded parmesan
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- 2 cups bolognese sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package (10-12 minutes). Strain the noodles and rinse with cold water (placing a few ice cubs in the colander to help cool the noodles down quicker). Once the noodles are cooled down begin to pat dry them.
- In a square baking dish, apply cooking spray to pan then spread 1 cup of bolognese sauce.
- Using a medium-size bowl, place ricotta, cottage cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper, shredded parmesan, and 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella. Mix until well incorporated.
- Take one sheet of lasagna noodle and place 3 tablespoons to 1/4 cup of cheese mixture on one end. Carefully begin to roll. Place the first roll-up seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat until all lasagna noodles and cheese mixture are used. Cover with remaining 1 cup of bolognese sauce.
- Bake with foil on top for 20 minutes. Then add the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella to the top, bake with foil off for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Have leftovers? Freeze in an airtight container for another meal!