Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
What better way to warm up and use up leftover turkey then to make a big pot of my Turkey & Wild Rice Soup!
What better way to use up leftover turkey them to make a turkey and wild rice soup. I made this soup the day after thanksgiving for my family. It made for a perfect lunch. Of course what would have made it better would have been cooler weather, but that’s the joys of living in Florida. What can I say?
For this soup I started by making turkey stock in my slow cooker. Once my stock was done then I worked on the actual soup base of carrots, celery, and onions. The key to a quick cooking soup is sweating the vegetables out in turkey fat renderings (or butter if you don’t have the fat) and a little bit of stock in the pot. This quick method of steaming vegetables allow the veggies to soften but also gives you that slow cooked taste with only an hour of cooking time.
This turkey & wild rice soup is perfect for a cold winter day and even more perfect when you have leftover turkey to use up! If your entertaining and have leftovers this turkey & wild rice soup will make a perfect lunch for family and friends!
Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of turkey renderings (or butter)
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 onion
- 8 cups turkey stock
- 6 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 cups cooked turkey, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the turkey fat renderings on medium-high heat in a large stock pot. Then add the carrots, celery, and onions. Place the lid on and let the vegetables cook for 10 minutes. *add a little stock if needed to keep the vegetables from burning and drying out--the purpose of this is to steam the vegetables.
- Then add in 2 cups of stock, half of the minced sage leaves and fresh parsley, and the wild rice. Mix well, place the lid on the pot and cook for 15 minutes. Mixing occasionally and make sure that the pot does not get dry (add more stock if needed).
- Add the rest of the stock, lower the burner to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, mixing occasionally with lid on. Add the turkey and salt and pepper, mix well and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the rice is soft to bite. Before serving stir in the remaining fresh herbs, ladle soup into bowls and enjoy!
Katie Original Recipe
Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74