Thank you Cost Plus World Market for sponsoring today’s recipe. As always, all opinions are my own.
Whose excited for fall? ME!!!!!! I realize it’s still August and I’m already sharing my first pumpkin recipe of the season. I honestly, could not help myself. Although it’s like 100 degrees here in Florida I’m dreaming of cool crisp fall days. To get me in the mindset I’ve just lowered our AC (sorry, babe). I’m so excited to share my lentil pumpkin curry quinoa bowls today using ingredients I found at my local Cost Plus World Market. I’m all about pumpkin food and this pumpkin curry is almost stew like. It’s hearty, filling, and pretty healthy. Even the biggest meat eaters will not miss it in this curry.
These lentil pumpkin curry quinoa bowls are going to be one of your go-to fall recipes for this year and many years to come! The entire meal comes together in under an hour and makes a lot of food. Enough for you to have a few lunches with during the week or even dinner and maybe a lunch or two the next day.
The prep is pretty easy–a lot of peeling and chopping veggies. You could even prep the day prior if your making this for dinner. I like to sweat the vegetables in a little bit of the vegetable stock the first few minutes of cooking. This helps to rapidly cook the harder vegetables like the carrots. What makes this curry a little different is that I’ve paired it with quinoa instead of the traditional basmati rice. I wrote about my love for quinoa a few weeks ago. Of course I used my Instant Pot method for this recipe but I’ve included stove top directions for those who do not have an Instant Pot. I cooked the quinoa while the curry was simmering on the stove top. This recipe is not only gluten free, it’s dairy free too! And Vegan if you stick with my exact recipe!
I feel like no curry is complete without chopped peanuts on top. It’s the only way I eat curry. I added an extra layer of spice and used the World Market® Sriracha Peanuts. It gives a little crunch plus extra heat to the dish. Of course if you don’t like spicy you can always go with dry roasted peanuts or my favorite the honey roasted. A squirt of lime juice and some fresh cilantro on top rounds out the curry and brings all the flavors together.
I didn’t even add salt or pepper to this curry. I felt that it was perfect the way it was. The great thing about curry’s is that you can add whatever your heart desires. If you have sweet potatoes on hand or even white potatoes you could add those. If you really insist on a protein you can add chicken or shrimp. I would cook on the side and add on top. But that’s my own preference.
Let’s take a moment to talk about the ingredients for this recipe. I purchased all the pantry items, those beautiful aqua bowls and plates, the hammered spoons, and the floral napkins at Cost Plus World Market. I drive 45 minutes to get to my local Cost Plus World Market in Winter Garden, Florida. When I do we make a big trip of it and typically stock up on everything that is humanly possible. My husband heads to the wine section and typically picks out 6-12 bottles of wine depending on the sale. I browse the entire store, but specifically spend the most time in the grocery section, naturally. I’ve been shopping at this location for years and although I live far away and don’t get to shop as frequently as I would like I’ve grown a bond with quite a few of the sales associates and managers! They are all so kind and always greet me when they see me. Check out the store locator to find your local store. The next time your at Cost Plus World Market make sure you grab all the ingredients for my Lentil Pumpkin Curry Quinoa Bowls.
Shop this post:
Chaokoh Coconut Milk | Natco Madras Curry Powder | Pereg Autumn Blend Lentils | Pereg Tri-Color Quinoa | World Market® Sriracha Peanuts | Danieli Flatware Collection | Aqua Nantucket Dinnerware | Blue Palampore Anika Napkins
Lentil Pumpkin Curry Quinoa Bowls
For the Quinoa:
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups Pereg Tri-Color Qunioa
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Lentil Pumpkin Curry:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup calabasa squash diced
- 1 cup Butternut squash
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Madras Curry Powder
- 1 cup Pereg Autumn Blend Heirloom Lentils
- 2-1/2 cups Vegetable Stock divided
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro minced and divided
- 1 lime quartered
- 1/2 cup World Market Bold & Spicy Sriracha Peanuts divided
For the Quinoa:
- Bring four cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and tri-color quinoa to the pot. Reduce heat to low, cover loosely with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender and water is absorbed.
- Turn off heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Set to the side until ready to serve. Before serving fluff with a fork.
For the Lentil Pumpkin Curry:
- While the quinoa is cooking, start the pumpkin lentil curry. Melt the coconut oil in a large pot (fitted with a lid) over medium-high heat. Add the onion, red bell pepper, carrots, calabasa squash and butternut squash as well as 1/4 cup of the vegetable stock. Place the lid on the pot and cook for 5 minutes (reduce the heat to medium half way through), until soft.
- Stir in the minced garlic and curry powder. Mix well and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the lentils and cook 1 additional minute.
- Next, add in the vegetable stock. Stir well, place a lid on top of the pot and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, mix well, add in the coconut milk and pumpkin puree simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide quinoa evenly among bowls, ladle lentil pumpkin curry on top of each bed of quinoa. Garnish each bowl with minced cilantro, a lime wedge and chopped Sriracha peanuts.