Thank you Stonyfield Organics for sponsoring today’s recipe. As always, all opinions are my own.
Raise your hand if you love scalloped potatoes? I mean come on–who doesn’t love creamy cheesy potatoes? I used Stonyfield Smooth & Creamy Double Cream Plain Yogurt to transform your everyday scalloped potatoes into a decadent side dish for your next dinner party. The sauce is so creamy that you don’t need any cheese added to these potatoes. In fact, no heavy cream or sour cream and very minimal butter. Your guest will think they are loaded with all the cheesy goodness, and will have no idea that they are eating yogurt with their potatoes!
Last week I shared with you my Double Cream Corn Casserole that also had Stonyfield Smooth & Creamy Double Cream Plain Yogurt in it. I’m in love with Double Cream it is my go-to cooking yogurt! It can be used as a substitute for oil, mayo, buttermilk, butter or sour cream. Because it has a higher fat content you can cook with it and it won’t curdle on you. I love having a quart or two of Double Cream on hand at all times. Stonyfield has had a mission of healthy planet, healthy food and healthy people since their start in 1983 on a small organic farming school in Wilton, NH. I love their beliefs and mission and its something that I can feel good about feeding to my family.
Everything Stonyfield makes isn’t just delicious, it’s also made with certified organic and organic
compliant ingredients. In a world full of choices, organic makes things simple because it’s always
made without the use of toxic persistent pesticides, artificial hormones, antibiotics and GMOs.
Let’s talk more about these Double Cream Scalloped Potatoes. I like to boil my potatoes first until al dente. I thinly slice with a handheld mandolin slicer. I leave the skins on to reduce prep time; however, you can take the time to peel them off if you wish. Once the potatoes are cooked I then layer cooked potatoes in my baking dish pouring some of the delicious double cream sauce in the baking dish between layers of potatoes. This ensures the sauce really soaks up throughout all the potatoes. Then in the oven for a quick bake until golden and bubbly. In the double cream sauce I use a mix of organic milk and Stonyfield Smooth & Creamy Double Cream Plain Yogurt along with pantry staple dried herbs like dehydrated onions, chives, and parsley. A little garlic powder, salt and black pepper round out the sauce. Simple wholesome ingredients to make the creamiest potatoes that you’ll ever taste. You’ll never ever turn to a boxed mix again. Yes–it may take a little longer to prep but holy cow are these potatoes magical. If your looking for a show stopping side dish this holiday season (or really any time of the year) make my Double Cream Scalloped Potatoes.
Double Cream Scalloped Potatoes
- 3 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt + 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ stick unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dried onions
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups 2% Organic milk
- 1 cup Stonyfield Organic Plain Yogurt Double Cream
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 oz. white cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Wash and scrub potatoes and set to the side. Using a mandolin, thinly slice (about ⅛-inch thick circles) the potatoes into a pot of cold water. Rinse the potatoes multiple times until the water runs clear. Fill the pot with enough water with only 1 inch of water over the top of potatoes. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of salt over the potatoes then boil on medium-high for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse the potatoes in a colander and set to the side.
- In the same pot, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat. Add the dried onion, flour and 1 teaspoon of salt. Continue mixing with a spatula until a rue is created. Using a whisk, gradually whisk in the milk until it simmers. Reduce the heat to low. Whisk in the Stonyfield Organic Plain Yogurt Double Cream until smooth. Add in the dried chives, parsley, black pepper and garlic powder. Whisk until incorporated then remove from the stove top and set to the side.
- Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray. Pour a little bit of the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Then, layer half the potatoes in baking dish, pour half the sauce over the potatoes. Then repeat this step with the remaining potatoes and double cream sauce. Bake for 35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.