I’ve been dreaming up some pumpkin ice cream recipes in my head. I wasn’t quite confident, so I started browsing around on the internet, and happened to like this recipe the best; however, I still modified it after reading comments from the recipe. Many people did not feel like the pumpkin flavor was fully their. That’s why I doubled the pumpkin puree the recipe called for and combined the puree and spices into the warm milk mixture. That way the flavors could nicely marry and saturate in one-another.
I can honestly say… I like pumpkin. I like it way more this year than I have in past year. On Monday I posted about the Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake I recently made and now this ice cream. Both will make you feel head over heals in love with pumpkin.
Adapted from: Food Network
- 4 cups half and half
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp granulated vanilla bean OR 2 Vanilla beans
- 1-1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 15 oz can of Pumpkin Puree
- 1 tsp each; nutmeg and cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 5 whole cloves
- Optional: Graham Cracker Crumbs & Whipped Cream
- Combine half and half, and heavy whipping cream in a large sauce pan. Stir in white sugar, followed by granulated vanilla bean. *If you do not have granulated vanilla bean, split and scrap 2 vanilla beans into the dairy/sugar mixture. Do not bring the mixture to a boil--the mixture should reach around 170 degrees. Add 1 can of pumpkin puree and all of the spices. Mix until everything is incorporated and pumpkin has broken down. Add quarter cup of brown sugar, mix well, and then bring off of heat.
- Pour warm spiced milk mixture into containers and seal tightly. Chill the batter in the refrigerator over night.
- The next day, strain the batter so that you remove any clumps that may have formed and the whole cloves *and vanilla bean pods if used. Freeze the ice cream batter in ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once the ice cream has churned let it harden in freezer for at least 2-4 hours prior to being served. Scoop portions of ice cream out and top with graham cracker crumbs and whipped cream if desired!