This 20 minutes Lighter Spaghetti Carbonara recipe includes a reduce-fat sour cream and skim milk which helps lighten the calories on this creamy usually glutenous pasta dinner.
Would you hate me if you knew that I ate my first bowl of Spaghetti Carbonara last year in Europe? Yep totally true. I think the whole egg thing has thrown me off all these years, and thus kept me far, far away from the egg based pasta. But while on vacation I tend to get a little more adventurous. I was craving creamy pasta and I gave it a try… and what do you know? I loved it, and then proceeded to gorge myself until I had a stomach ache (which by the way I don’t recommend that).
I was inspired to make a lighter version of spaghetti carbonara at home. I was craving comfort food. I had a busy day at the office and all I wanted to do was eat a quick comforting dinner and then veg on the couch (which lets get real I rarely ever veg on the couch. I typically get my second wind after dinner and start working on blog stuff until the wee-hours of the morning).
So on that sluggish evening (this happened be right after I made tons of homemade spaghetti) I knew I wanted to make pasta but I didn’t know what. I typically make my go-to Shrimp Scampi recipe, but on this particular night I did something I haven’t done in a while… I opened a cookbook! gasp! I find myself opening cookbooks less and less and going straight to the internet. And then, of course, once I open the cookbook I tend to get lost in it for hours just as I would the internet. That’s when I flipped to this glorious recipe. This was also around Easter time when I had leftover Slow Cooker Ham. Might I add, that I never have ham in the refrigerator, so I felt that this recipe was destine to be cooked. I will tell you that Spaghetti Carbonara is not as scary as it might seem… even if you aren’t a fan of egg yolks–its creamy and comforting and brought me right back to Italy!
Here are a few more of my favorite pasta recipes.
- Baked Shrimp Parmesan with Pasta
- Creamy Spaghetti Primavera
- Pepperoni Pasta Salad
- One Pot Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Greek Shrimp Pasta for Two
- One Pot Creamy Vegetable Spaghetti Primavera
If you make this recipe, I would be honored and love for you to take the time to leave a star rating and comment! I spend hours developing and testing these recipes, and always love to hear feedback and user experience!
Lighter Spaghetti Carbonara
- Stove Top
- 8 oz Spaghetti
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1/3 cup Parmesan
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup chives diced
- Cook fresh spaghetti according to box instructions or al dente. Before draining the pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water. Drain the pasta and set to the side.
- In a large bowl, combine the grated Parmesan, sour cream, skim milk, salt, and lightly beaten eggs. Set to the side.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add the diced ham and cook for 2 minutes. Add the pasta to the pan and stir well.
- Add the reserved pasta water to the egg cream mixture–whisking vigorously. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta and stir until incorporated. Cook for 5 minutes. You'll want the sauce to thicken–make sure it does not boil. Stir in ground black pepper and fresh chives. Serve immediately.
- Prep all of your ingredients ahead time as this is a quick cooking recipe.
- Substitute for chopped prosciutto or even bacon for ham for an extra decadent carbonara! Just note that the calories per serving will change!
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post.