Thank you Stonyfield and Taylor Farms for sponsoring today’s recipe. As always, all opinions are my own!
Switch up your mundane salad and make my easy recipe for Thai-Inspired Kale & Shrimp Salad with Yogurt Peanut Dressing in under 20 minutes! My husband and I love a good salad. Most days we eat them for lunch but during the summer months it’s not uncommon to find salad for dinner. Yes, salad can totally be dinner if you beef it up. Lots of veggies, a protein like shrimp, chicken, or steak and don’t forget the dressing! This Yogurt Peanut Dressing is so good you could drink it. True story my friends. My recipe for a Thai-Inspired Kale & Shrimp Salad with Yogurt Peanut Dressing is perfect for hot summer days when you don’t feel like standing in the kitchen over a hot stove!
I like to work on the salad dressing first. I use a bowl and a whisk for this recipe; however, you can use a high powered blender if you choose. Most days when I’m making salad dressing my 4 month old is napping in the living room in her swing. So turning on a noisy blender doesn’t work. So I take it back “old school” and just whisk the dressing and it comes out just as good! For this recipe I like to use Stonyfield Organic Lowfat Smooth & Creamy Plain Yogurt. It gives just the right amount of creaminess with fewer calories. Stonyfield products are always made without the use of toxic persistent pesticides or GMO’s. It’s makes it good for both you and the environment. And they are gluten free so this is the perfect gluten free meal if you are allergic or just simply trying to stay away from gluten in general. I also like to use PB2 powder instead of traditional peanut butter because it has less calories as well. I like to give the dressing a little zing by a drizzle of sriracha sauce. The creamy yogurt masks it at first and you don’t feel it until after you’ve taken a few bites, then it hits you! If you don’t like spicy just omit the sriracha sauce.
The prep for this salad is very easy and takes 20 minutes to complete from start to finish. You can cook the shrimp one of two ways. You can do a quick pan-sear on the stove top or fire up the grill. I keep it simple with just a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. I like to do the pan-sear so that I’m not having to walk back and forth. While the shrimp cooks I begin to prep the veggies.
For this salad, I like to cut all the vegetables julienne style. My husband loves to chop them all up–it’s all a preference thing. I like to use Taylor Farms Organic Baby Kale because its different then the traditional romaine or spring mix. Are you familiar with Taylor Farms? It’s a brand that lands in my shopping cart week after week. I can buy the salad kits at my local Publix, arugula at the Walmart just down the road from me, extra-large containers of spinach and spring mix at Sam’s and the power greens at Super Target!
Taylor Farms’ high quality salads and vegetables begin with high quality farming families. Since the beginning we’ve partnered with over 100 family growers across the country; several have been farming in the Salinas Valley since the early 1920’s.
Many say farmers were America’s first environmentalists. This continues to be true today. The land is our growers’ livelihood. They are committed to using sustainable farming practices to grow the finest quality vegetables and preserve their land in order to pass onto the next generation of farmers.
Taylor Farms and Stonyfield both have a very similar philosophy and because of that I love that I can marry this delicious salad dressing with their gorgeous baby kale greens! Yes, I just called kale gorgeous. I’m one of those weirdos–just roll with it. Veggies to me are gorgeous!
I made this for dinner the other week and my husband loved it so much he requested it for lunch two times in the same week! So if your in a salad rut, spice up your next lunch or even make this for a quick 20-minute dinner. It’s perfect for the hot days of summer and will keep you cool and refreshed all summer long!
Shop this recipe:
- Stonyfield Organic Lowfat Smooth & Creamy Plain Yogurt
- Taylor Farms Organic Baby Kale
- OXO Mixing Bowl
- OXO Whisk
- OXO Spatula
- OXO Salad Shaker
- Gold Forks
Thai-Inspired Kale & Shrimp Salad with Yogurt Peanut Dressing
- Stove Top
- Frying Pan
For the Dressing:
- ½ cup Stonyfield Organic Lowfat Smooth & Creamy Plain Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons PB2 Fit Powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro minced
For the salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- salt & pepper to taste
- 5 oz. package Taylor Farms Organic Baby Kale
- ½ cup matchstick carrots
- 1 red bell pepper julienne sliced
- 1 cucumber seeded and julienne sliced
- ½ cup Honey Roasted Cashews
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon green onions
For the Dressing:
- In a bowl, add the Stonyfield Organic Lowfat Smooth & Creamy Plain Yogurt, PB2 Fit Powder, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, garlic powder, ground ginger, sesame oil, sriracha sauce, and minced cilantro. Whisk together until smooth and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Salad:
- Heat a frying pan at medium-high heat with olive oil. While pan heats, rinse and pat dry the shrimp. Place in the frying pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until shrimp are pink and crispy. Remove from the frying pan and set to the side.
- Begin assembling the salad. Divide the baby kale into four separate bowls. Then divide the julienne carrots, julienne cucumbers, julienne red bell pepper among the four bowls. Divide the shrimp, honey roasted cashews (or peanuts), fresh cilantro leaves, and green onions in each bowl. Pour the dressing on top and enjoy immediately!
- Store leftover dressing in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.