Italian Sausage Bake

Italian Sausage Bake from KatiesCucina.com

Today, I’m over at Food Fanatic contributing the most divine one-pot meal recipe I’ve created to date. I’d like to introduce you to the Italian Sausage Bake. This is perfect for a weekend meal. Fresh ingredients such as pepper, onions, grape tomatoes, and potatoes tossed with spicy Italian sausage that bakes in the oven for a whopping 2 hours. I’ve made this recipe a few times now, and found that tits best to let the sausage cook on top over the vegetables. The juices from the sausage permeate into the veggies creating the most flavorful and simple dish. Since you have your starches, veggies, and proteins all in one–this is all you have to make. Of course you can always pair it with crusty Italian bread and a side salad.

Italian Sausage Bake from KatiesCucina.com

Visit Food Fanatic to for the full recipe: Italian Sausage Bake: One Pot, One Hearty Meal

Want a chance to win a trip to Italy? Enter the #TuscanyNowCookOff you can enter HERE. One winner will win a weekend getaway to Italy!

Disclaimer: I am paid contributor to food fanatic. There are affiliate links in this post. As always all opinions are my own.

75 Responses to “Italian Sausage Bake”

1. Chrissy {Hoot Designs} posted on March 30, 2013 at 7:10 pm (#)

This looks great!!!!

2. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com posted on March 31, 2013 at 12:20 am (#)

That’s a one pot comforting meal 🙂

3. Erin | The Law Student's Wife posted on April 1, 2013 at 10:42 am (#)

I heart any meal that only requires me to wash a single pot! Nicely done Katie.

• Katie replied on April 1st, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Erin!

4. ashley - baker by nature posted on April 1, 2013 at 9:12 pm (#)

This would definitely be a star dish in my house and heart!

5. Nutmeg Nanny posted on April 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm (#)

Oh wow, this looks divine and I love that it’s a simple one dish recipe!

6. Christine (CookTheStory) posted on January 7, 2014 at 9:34 pm (#)

My mouth was watering looking at your picture.

• Katie replied on January 10th, 2014 at 11:34 am

Ha ha thanks Christine. Definitely give this a try of course do mild sausage for the kiddos! 😉

7. Paula Wengwr posted on March 19, 2014 at 10:00 am (#)

Looks great. I would love to make this but I am uncertain at what temperature to bake it for 2 hours. Can you tell me?

• Katie replied on March 19th, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Paula–I just embedded the recipe on the page. You just needed to click on the link to get you the full recipe. I’m a contributor on another site and that’s where the recipe has resided; however, they just got embedded printable recipe cards so I just added it to the post! Good luck–this is one of our favorite meals to make!

8. Estee posted on March 27, 2014 at 7:25 pm (#)

This is a really tasty and easy recipe. I’m not sure the 2 hour cooking time is necessary as the peppers were a little mushy. Next time I will just bake it until the potatoes are done and see how that tastes.

• Katie replied on June 9th, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Glad you enjoyed the recipe Estee. I think the 2 hours varies on your oven.

9. Barbara Dougherty posted on October 11, 2014 at 12:56 pm (#)

I was wondering, for the last 20 to 30 minutes or so is the dish uncovered??
    Looks so yummy.

• Katie replied on October 12th, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Hi Barbara, Thanks for stopping by. Yes, you remove the tinfoil from the dish the last 30 minutes so that the sausage can really brown. Hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.

10. Bex posted on October 12, 2014 at 9:48 pm (#)

Found this on Pinterest – in theory, awesome. In practice, not so much. Followed the recipe as close as possible. Vegetables we complete mush. Sausage was painfully dry.

A staged approach would have been much better – adding the peppers and tomatoes w about 30 remaining, and grilling/pan searing the sausage and tossing them in w about 15 min remaining.

Very disappointed – this looked/sounded SO good.

• Katie replied on October 12th, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Hi Bex, I’m sorry that the recipe didn’t turn out for you. I make this recipe once a month for my family and always have great success with it.

11. gina posted on October 21, 2014 at 3:15 pm (#)

This is nothing new, we Italians have done this since the beginning of time. Lol

• Katie replied on October 23rd, 2014 at 9:36 am

Hi Gina, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I’m just sharing a tried-and-true favorite recipe that I make my family. Not everyone knows how to make this recipe. That’s why I share a variety of recipes from easy to complicated for every level of cook.

12. Ann Hinds posted on November 9, 2014 at 9:19 pm (#)

Just took the foil off to brown the sausages. Smells so good in here, can’t wait for dinner. Pinned this for future reference.

• Katie replied on November 10th, 2014 at 7:45 am

Yay! Hope you guys enjoyed your dinner!

13. jen posted on November 16, 2014 at 6:04 pm (#)

I made this last night and it was SOOOOOO good I can’t stop thinking about it! I had forgotten how wonderful the combo of potatoes and peppers is!

• Katie replied on November 16th, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Jen I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe. We love it in my home too!

14. Krista posted on November 18, 2014 at 7:27 pm (#)

Wonderful recipe!! My husband and I love it!

• Katie replied on November 23rd, 2014 at 10:43 am

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I’m glad you both enjoyed the recipe!

15. Jenn Davis posted on December 1, 2014 at 6:39 pm (#)

would love to try this Italian sausage bake however the embedded link isn’t working and the recipe is not on the site either. Can you help and send me the recipe? I’m dealing with insulin intolerance and this recipe sounded perfect for what my whole family could eat and I could enjoy too.
    Thanks!

• Katie replied on December 12th, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Hi Jenn. The link is also on my page. Here is the link just in case you missed it! Hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!

16. Dennis Walker posted on January 28, 2015 at 8:13 pm (#)

This turned out really well.  I was off today while my wife worked so I thought I would cook.  It was easy to make and she cleaned her plate.  Thanks.

• Katie replied on February 3rd, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Dennis so glad you and your life enjoyed this recipe! I make this at least once a month in our home. It’s one of my husbands favorites!

17. Susan posted on March 4, 2015 at 9:36 pm (#)

I made this for dinner tonight. The fresh thyme in this recipe filled my home with a wonderful fragrance. I used small red potatoes & one large red bell pepper along with the garlic & red onion & cherry tomatoes . I baked it for 90 minutes covered and finished it off in 15 minutes uncovered @ 400 degrees. It was delicious. My husband loved it. Will make this many more times.

• Katie replied on March 12th, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Susan so glad to read you and your husband enjoyed this recipe! It’s a staple recipe in my home!

18. Karen Wilson posted on March 14, 2015 at 11:00 pm (#)

I just made this recipe in my convection oven.  Baked for an hour covered with foil, then took foil off and baked 30 more minutes.  2 hours total bake time sounded like a lot.  Turned out great!  Served it with cornbread.  Very good meal.

• Katie replied on March 18th, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Karen I’m so glad you enjoyed it. I know it seems like a long time to cook, but it works! 🙂

19. Isagani Baria posted on March 19, 2015 at 7:38 pm (#)

I’m not done cooking but I think it’s super delicious!

• Katie replied on March 19th, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Thanks Isagani! Hope you enjoyed it.

20. Chelsea posted on September 16, 2015 at 11:03 am (#)

Do you think I can throw hot dogs in with the sausage for the littles?

• Katie replied on September 16th, 2015 at 11:50 am

Hi Chelsea, I never cook with hot dogs, so I honestly can’t tell you how it will turnout. Just be mindful of the spices–not sure how sensitive they are.

21. Trudy posted on October 2, 2015 at 5:56 pm (#)

i absolutely love this recipe! I have been making it for a year now, at least once a month. The one thing I do though is cut down on the cooking time 60 minutes and 30 minutes.

• Katie replied on October 6th, 2015 at 9:16 am

Thanks Trudy for taking the time to leave a comment. We love this recipe in our home too. Glad your enjoying it and thanks for the time tip!

22. Michele posted on December 16, 2015 at 2:21 am (#)

Found your recipe on Pinterest.. I made it for dinner tonight! Oh wow was it good! Followed the recipe exactly as posted! The house smelled so good and there was nothing left after dinner…they told me to add it to the list to make again! Thanks! Great recipe with great pictures!

• Katie replied on December 16th, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Michele, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I’m so glad your family enjoyed it–it’s a family favorite of ours too, and continues to make my menu plan at least once a month!

23. Francine Pinoni posted on March 1, 2016 at 9:16 am (#)

KATIE!  Without a doubt this recipe is the #1 BEST RECIPE I’ve ever tried from Pinterest!  Hands down!  It was delicious!  My husband commented that it reminded him of a dish we had a Chez Panise- Chez Panise!  What a compliment!  I made the recipe as noted but I only had two sausages so I reduced the vegetables slightly.  I baked it for 2 hours as instructed.  WE ate EVERYTHING.  Every little morsel!  The dish was like visiting Poland where the food is so good you need bread at the end to soak up the goodness!  Another bonus: the kitchen clean up was E-A-S-Y.  I would HIGHLY recommend this recipe.

• Katie replied on March 6th, 2016 at 10:22 am

Francine, thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment and leave feedback! My family loves this recipe, too! I make it at least once a month because it’s so easy and a crowd pleaser!

24. Alan Smithee posted on April 17, 2016 at 10:38 am (#)

I will probably make this again although I will definitely shorten the cooking time. As someone else noted, the vegetables were mush and the sausage overcooked . I might do 1/2 covered and then 15 minutes uncovered per each side of the sausage for a total of 1 hour.

• Katie replied on April 18th, 2016 at 7:59 am

Hi Alan–I’m glad you tried the recipe. Every oven cooks differently–so please tweak to how your oven cooks!

25. Oceana posted on August 30, 2016 at 9:56 am (#)

Savory–just in time for hearty fall dinners. Please proof read your fifth sentence… Thank You for sharing this GEM!

26. Christine posted on December 2, 2016 at 9:16 am (#)

Made this last night. I was convinced that I had all the veggies already on hand and at the very last minute realized I was missing peppers and tomatoes. I thought I had pretty much just ruined dinner but decided to substitute mushrooms and green beans. It was delicious!! Will definitely make again and the right way as well as substitutions! Wanted to share in case anyone else had the same situation. I am convinced a variety of veggies could be used and it would be awesome! Thanks!

• Katie replied on December 16th, 2016 at 9:30 am

Oh Christine–love that variation! I think I might have to come up with a new recipe with that combo! Thanks for the idea!

27. Christine posted on December 2, 2016 at 9:18 am (#)

Oh qnd I found that sausage and veggies were perfectly done after only 75 min. Uncovered the last 15 min.

• Katie replied on December 16th, 2016 at 9:30 am

Thanks Christine! Everyone’s oven is different so times could vary!

1. Pingback: Food #241

2. Pingback: Food #43

3. Pingback: Italian Sausage Bake | Food- Mafia

4. Pingback: Italian Sausage Bake | Katie’s Cucina | Looking for it

5. Pingback: Italian Sausage Bake | anticsincooking

6. Pingback: Delicious Recipes For Everyone Who HATE Doing The Dishes | WORLD Warotter

7. Pingback: 25 Recipes For People Who Hate Doing The Dishes | saya suka party

8. Pingback: We All Know Cleaning Up is the Worst Part of Cooking. With These Meals, You Don't Have To

9. Pingback: 25 Ways To Make Dinner Without The Hassle Of Cleaning Up After — Buzz Ryan

10. Pingback: 25 Ways To Make Dinner Without The Hassle Of Cleaning Up After - Viral Socially

11. Pingback: 25 Recipes That Don't Bring On The Burden Of Doing Dishes Afterwards - Viral Posts Ninja!

12. Pingback: If You Think Cleaning Up is the Worst Part of Cooking, You'll Want to See These 25 Meals — Buzz Ryan

13. Pingback: Nobody Likes A Huge Cleanup Effort After Dinner. These 25 Recipes Don't Require It — Buzz Ryan

14. Pingback: If You Think Cleaning Up is the Worst Part of Cooking, You'll Want to See These 25 Meals - Viral Posts Ninja!

15. Pingback: We All Know Cleaning Up is the Worst Part of Cooking. With These Meals, You Don't Have To « Apprecify

16. Pingback: Skip The Whole Clean Up Thing With These 25 Delicious Recipes — Buzz Ryan

17. Pingback: 25 Recipes That Don't Bring On The Burden Of Doing Dishes Afterwards — Fire Zorg

18. Pingback: 25 Recipes That Don't Bring On The Burden Of Doing Dishes Afterwards — Buzz Ryan

19. Pingback: REAL FOOD Menu Plan 7.6.15

20. Pingback: 16 Christmas Dinner Ideas Guaranteed To Make Your Night Memorable - Homemade Recipes|1000's of FREE Homemade Dinner Recipes

21. Pingback: On the Menu: Pre-Vacay Goodies | This is an adventure.

22. Pingback: Top 15 Best Italian Recipes – Top 10 Best Recipes

23. Pingback: Philips Air Fryer Reviews: Find the Leading Air Fryers Available Today - Air Fryer Expert

24. Pingback: Italian Sausage Bake – Food Wine and Books