Looking for an easy dinner to cook that tastes like it’s been slow cooking all day? Try this fork-tender recipe for Instant Pot Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper Sauce.
Sausage and peppers is one of my families favorite dinner. Ironically, I rarely make this meal for my family. That is until I started testing recipes for Instant Pot Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper Sauce. This recipe, like so many other recipes for the Instant Pot is a game changer. Fork-tender sausage that tastes like it’s been simmering for hours. In the past, I’ve made this recipe using my slow cooker; however, since I received my Instant Pot I now only make Italian Sausage in the Instant Pot. It’s life changing and takes a fraction of the time.
How do you cook Italian Sausage in the Instant Pot?
Making this recipe is very easy and only takes a few steps–best of all its contained to one pot. I love to brown the Italian Sausage in the Instant Pot first, then I add in the garlic, onions, and peppers to brown for a minute. Sprinkle in the herbs and use a silicone spatula to scrape up the brown bits. Next, you’ll add in the tomato paste and mix well then add in the diced tomatoes and crushed tomatoes. Give it a good mix, then it’s time to close the lid and let the Instant Pot do it’s magic. Because this is a sauce, once the sauce is done cooking you’ll want the pressure to release naturally for at least 10 minutes. Then, carefully force the pressure from the Instant Pot.
How many Italian Sausage can you cook in the Instant Pot?
I have tested this recipe a few times and I found 10 was a good amount to cook. I typically will only cook 5 for my family of 4. If I’m entertaining, I’ll keep the same amount of sauce and just up the amount of Italian Sausage. I use mild Italian Sausage but if you like spicy you can most definitely use hot Italian Sausage.
What do you do with the extra sauce?
This recipe makes a lot of sauce. I love to have extra sauce, because then it allows me to freeze the remaining sauce for a future meal. All the developed flavors in a sauce, and best of all you just defrost and have a delicious sauce for another dinner. You can freeze the Italian Sausage with the sauce. If you actually have leftover sausage (which never happens in my house), I would cut the sausage into 2-3 inch pieces. Always, defrost in the refrigerator the day before, then reheat in a sauce pan on the stove top until piping hot.
What can you serve with Italian Sausage and Peppers?
I like to serve this meal with pasta, fresh Italian bread, and salad. However, you can make Italian Sausage subs. If you are looking for a healthier low-carb option you can serve this on top of zoodles. If you are looking for a simple meal to make next week before the family goes out to trick or treat this meal would be perfect! Of course, if your looking to use your Instant Pot more and want to add an easy dinner to your meal plan make this recipe for Instant Pot Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper Sauce.
Instant Pot Italian Sausage and Bell Pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 Italian Sausage Links
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 white onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 28 oz. can pureed tomatoes
- garnish: fresh basil and parsley for serving
- Select the "saute" setting on the Instant Pot. Once the Instant Pot reads "HOT" pour the olive oil in the pot and place the sausages inside the Instant Pot. Begin to brown the sausage on all sides for 5 minutes.
- While the sausage browns, begin to chop all the vegetables including the garlic.
- Once the sausage is golden in color (but not cooked through) remove the sausage and set to the side. Add in the garlic and onions and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant. Then add in the bell peppers. Mix and saute for 1 minute then add in the salt, Italian seasoning, sugar, and black pepper. Mix well then add in the tomato paste and mix until combined.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and pureed tomatoes. Mix well and then add the Italian sausage back in to the Instant Pot. Make sure you submerge all the links. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and move the valve to "sealing" position. Turn off the Instant Pot then select "meat/stew", select 15 minutes.
- Once the sausage is done, let the Instant Pot naturally rest for 10 minutes. Then, carefully, force the remaining pressure out of the Instant Pot. Mix well, and serve immediately.