Embrace the produce of the season and use up leftover corn on the cob and make my version of Mexican Street Corn Salad for your next fiesta!
We had an awesome Memorial Day barbecue with family and friends last weekend. I was in charge of some of the sides and one of the things I brought was my slow cooker corn on the cob. Well, with all the side dishes we ended up having plus amazing smoked ribs, turkey, and pork butt, we were all left with a lot of leftovers. I was left with over 7 ears of the 14 ears of corn I had brought. We ate some corn early in the week and then I was still left with 5 ears of corn on the cob. I was going to make my favorite cherry tomato, corn and black bean salad for our taco night when I decided to make a Mexican Street Corn Salad.
So glad I made that decision. It switched up our normal side dishes and gave us a rich and creamy corn dish that was out of this world. I’m not one to cook with mayonnaise a lot, but I know that is the key to good Mexican street corn. So glad I whipped this up to go with our tacos the other night because not only did my husband, Jon, love it but so did my picky 2 year old! He gobbled it all up!
I used fresh corn for this recipe; however, you could always use frozen corn kernels. The majority of the prep time was removing the corn kernels off the cob. I find to put the cob in a deep mixing bowl and remove the corn kernels like that. It helps reduce the amount of mess! I like to use the OXO Corn Peeler and a corn pick to protect my fingers. Especially since I was removing the kernels off half pieces of corn.
This side dish cooks very quick once you have the corn kernels removed off the cob. In my case, the corn was already cooked so I was simply heating the corn up. If you use fresh corn you’ll just need to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes to ensure the kernels are cooked. When you heat the corn up you’ll add in the lime zest and lime juice and green onions. Then once it’s time to add the mayonnaise you’ll also add in the spices, fresh cilantro, and crumbled queso fresco cheese. You’ll only cook 5 minutes tops because if you’ve ever cooked with mayonnaise, when you heat it for too long it starts to separate and get all greasy on you. Once I plated the corn I sprinkled additional chili powder on top to give it a pop of color! That’s it. Super simple side dish made in less than 30 minutes while the tacos are cooking. I hope you’ll give my recipe for Mexican Street Corn Salad a try.
Mexican Street Corn Salad
- 5 ears cooked corn on the cob corn kernels removed
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup queso fresco cheese crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder divided
- Dash of Cayenne pepper
- Remove the corn off the cooked ears of corn and set to the side.
- Heat a frying pan with the salted butter. Add the corn kernels, lime zest and juice, and green onions. Cook for 5 minutes until warm. Then mix in the mayonnaise, crumbled queso fresco cheese, fresh cilantro and chili powder. Mix well until incorporated. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Before serving sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on top as well as additional chili powder. Divide evenly among plates and enjoy.