Grilled chicken breast slathered in taco seasoning and chopped into bite-size pieces make for the most delicious grilled chicken tacos dinner. Even better’s it is made in under a half hour! Use hard taco shells that grill while the chicken cooks or use homemade corn tortillas to make them more like authentic street tacos.
I love tacos, and thankfully my family loves Mexican food. We probably eat a Mexican inspired dish at least once a week. Typically, on Tuesday’s which is very predictable since we totally love and play on the “taco Tuesday” theme in my house.
I’ll be the first to admit that for some reason I don’t like chopped chicken in my Mexican dishes. I will only order the chicken if its shredded. The night I made these I wanted chicken tacos, but I didn’t want to turn the stove on in the house. I decided I would make grilled chicken tacos and chop the meat! I’m so glad I made that decision because I’ve been making these Grilled Chicken Tacos ever since.
- Chicken Breast – I like to use boneless skinless chicken breast.
- Grapeseed Oil – You will want a little to oil the chicken to help create a marinade for the grilled chicken.
- Taco Seasoning – Homemade or from a packet–it doesn’t matter. Whatever you have on hand!
- Hard Taco Shells – You can use the crunchy tacos or soft. Whatever you prefer. For authentic Mexican chicken street tacos you can use corn tortillas.
- Toppings – For this recipe I like to use chopped romaine, chunks of diced avocados, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese.
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
While grill is preheating rinse the chicken breast and pat dry with paper towel. Pour grape seed oil over chicken breast. Sprinkle taco seasoning mix over the chicken breast and rub well.
Spray non-stick grill spray on the grates. Place the chicken breast on the grill and cook for 20 minutes on medium-low heat. Flipping half way through the cooking process. Check the internal temperature of the chicken breast to make sure it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.
During the last 3-5 minutes of cooking place the hard corn taco shells on the grill to heat them.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the grill and place on a cutting board. Begin chopping the chicken into bit size pieces. Assemble tacos in the following order: chopped lettuce, chopped chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocado, and sour cream.
I like to chop the chicken into bite size pieces whenever I grill chicken breast for tacos.
Authentic Mexican street tacos are typically smaller tacos that make it easier to eat on the go. They are typically served on two corn tortillas so they don’t tear.
If marinating skinless boneless chicken breast you want to marinate anywhere from 2-24 hours. If you cut the chicken into bite-size pieces 30 minutes – 2 hours is plenty of time.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few of my favorite tips and tricks I’ve found helpful when making this recipe.
- Chicken Taco Marinade – I love to marinade the chicken in taco seasoning and grapeseed oil prior to grilling. I will marinade the chicken in a Ziploc baggy the night or morning before grilling. You will notice that this recipe does not require you to marinate this chicken. It still comes out juicy and flavorful. By marinating the chicken prior to cooking you will yield a much more robust and intense flavor.
- Grill Tortillas – Toward the end of the grilling process of the chicken I’ll place the tortillas on the top portion of my grill or in indirect heat on the grill grates. If they are hard crunchy tacos I place them on the grill. If they soft tortillas I’ll place them in foil to warm on the grill.
- Cutting Chicken – Whenever I grill chicken for tacos I like to chop the chicken in bite size pieces making it easiest to eat.
- Leftovers – I love to use leftover chopped grilled chicken for tacos in a salad for the next day! Since it’s already cooked you can eat the chicken at room temperature. Another option is adding the chicken to quesadillas!
Here are a few of my favorite recipes tot go with these chicken street tacos recipe.
- Black bean corn tomato salad
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn
- Classic Guacamole
- Homemade Salsa Recipe
- Mexican Rice
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
If you make this recipe, I would be honored and love for you to take the time to leave a star rating and comment! I spend hours developing and testing these recipes, and always love to hear feedback and user experience!
Grilled Chicken Tacos
- 3 Chicken Breast boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon Grapeseed Oil
- 2 tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- 12 Hard Taco Shells
- ½ cup Lettuce chopped
- 2 Avocados diced
- ½ cup Shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup Sour Cream divided
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- While grill is preheating rinse the chicken breast and pat dry with paper towel. Pour grape seed oil over chicken breast. Sprinkle taco seasoning mix over the chicken breast and rub well.
- Spray non-stick grill spray on the grates.
- Place the chicken breast on the grill and cook for 20 minutes on medium-low heat. Flipping half way through the cooking process. Check the internal temperature of the chicken breast to make sure it reaches 165 degrees Fareneheit.
- During the last 3-5 minutes of cooking place the hard corn taco shells on the grill to heat them.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the grill and place on a cutting board. Begin chopping the chicken into bit size pieces.
- Assemble tacos in the following order: chopped lettuce, chopped chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocado, and sour cream.
- To simplify dinnertime, marinate the chicken in the oil and taco seasoning the night before. Place chicken, oil, and taco seasoning in a container with lid or plastic Ziploc bag. Remove before you are ready to grill.
- Prep veggies to go on top of tacos while the chicken is cooking.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links present in this post. That means if you click on a link and purchase something. I will receive a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continuous support of Katie’s Cucina!