Looking for an instant vacation? Try this easy-to-make 3 ingredient tropical dream drink recipe. This tropical drink will have you feeling like your on an island vacation in no time!
Seven years ago my husband and I went on an 8-day Southern Caribbean cruise. During our stops we spent a day in Curacao. By far it was our favorite island we visited while on that cruise. The people were friendly and the beaches were beautiful. The water… sigh… the water was crystal clear. After enjoying the water we also got to enjoy these Tropical Dream Drinks made with Blue Curaçao liquor. It’s what the island of Curaçao is mostly known for.
While in Curacao we we decided to go snorkeling verse our normal scuba diving. Our cruise ship arrived later in the afternoon to the port and didn’t give us enough time to dive. Thanks to recommendations from a friend, we took a taxi to a local beach and brought our own snorkels. We saw a dive shop and asked the dive master about snorkeling conditions around the beach. He told us to swim outside the channel and we would instantly swim into a fish tank. So we took his advice and swam out past the channel.
The dive masters recommendations did not disapoint. It was the most amazing snorkeling we’ve ever done. Heck just as good as some or most of the dives we’ve been on. The water was sparkling clear. We were 20-30 feet in water and could see perfectly down to the bottom. Schools of angel fish swam passed us as clusters of sea urchins sat on the rocks just right below us. After our amazing snorkel we spent an hour on the beach. Then headed back into town where we met up with fellow cruise mates to have dinner and drinks. While at a local restaurant we ordered a drink very similar to this Tropical Dream drink recipe.
- Malibu Rum – This coconut infused rum gives the tropical feel to the drink.
- Blue Curaçao – The sweet blue tinted liqueur gives the drink it’s color.
- Pineapple Juice – Any time we use pineapple juice it tastes like vacation! We always keep a bottle in our pantry and then refrigerator once we open it.
- Maraschino Cherries – I like to use these for garnish. They aren’t needed but make them a little more tropical.
Fill an 10 oz glass with ice. Then pour the Malibu over the ice. Next pour the pineapple juice.
Top with the Blue Curaçao liqueur. This gives a nice layered effect. Garnish with a few maraschino cherries and a tropical paper umbrella if desired.
Blue Curaçao is an ordinary liqueur, that is colored blue. However, the blue dyed version has a lower alcohol percentage between 20% and 25% as its main function is coloring.
Always store hard liquors and liqueurs at room temperature. There’s no need to refrigerate or freeze hard liquor whether it’s still sealed or already opened. They are perfectly safe to consume at room temperature.
Tips & Tricks
Here are a few of my favorite tips and tricks I’ve found helpful when making this recipe.
- Layering the drink – You will notice the picture above has the same drink looking two different ways. The drink on the left had Malibu, Blue Curaçao, then the pineapple juice. The drink on the right had Malibu, Pineapple Juice, and then the Blue Curaçao poured on top. We prefer the way the drink on the right looks as it has a fun layered effect.
- Garnish – You can use these fun paper umbrella’s and a few maraschino cherries to your drink. If you have fresh pineapple on hand a little sliced placed on the rim would also be a great addition to a garnish.
Looking for more delicious drink recipes? Check out a few more here.
- Peach Mojitos
- Frozen Strawberry Margaritas
- Malibu Bay Breeze
- Blackberry Pomegranate Sangria
- Moscato Lemonade
- Pineapple Tequila Cooler
If you are craving an island vacation make this drink. Every time we make these we feel like we are drinking summer vacation in a glass! If you make this Malibu dream drink recipe, I would be honored and love for you to take the time to leave a star rating and comment! I spend hours developing and testing these recipes, and always love to hear feedback and user experience!
Tropical Dream Drink Recipe
- Measuring Cups
- 2 oz. Malibu Rum
- 5 oz. Pineapple Juice
- 1 oz. Blue Curaçao
- 2 Maraschino cherries for garnish
- Fill an 10 oz glass with ice. Then pour the Malibu over the ice followed by the pineapple juice. Top with the Blue Curaçao liquer. This gives a nice layered effect. Garnish with a few maraschino cherries and a tropcial paper umbrella if desired.
- Stir drink to combine all ingredients but wait to do it until your guest see the awesome layered effect!
- You can find paper drink umbrellas on Amazon or even sometimes at your local grocery store.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links present in this post. That means if you click on a link and purchase something. I will receive a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continuous support of Katie’s Cucina!