Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna Steaks

Make these restaurant quality Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna steaks at home and in minutes for a fraction of the cost of what you would pay at a restaurant!

Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna

I know a lot of people are intimidated by making fish at home. I’m constantly answering questions on how to cook fish perfectly. Sadly, I don’t have a great answer for you. It simply takes time and experimenting with cooking fish. Today, I’m going to share a little knowledge with you on how to cook ahi tuna at home.

Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna

We love ordering Ahi tuna steaks when we go out to eat. But since we rarely go out to eat any more I’ve decided to start cooking it at home. After a few attempts, I’ve finally perfected these Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna Steaks. The key is to make the sauce ahead of time and then season the tuna steaks well with salt and pepper.

Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna

How do you cook Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna Steaks?

Tuna steaks only need to be cooked for a few minutes. Having the sauce prepared before you cook the steaks is key to making this dinner. During the last minute of cooking you’ll pour half the sauce on top of the steaks. You will want to let the sauce cook into the steaks. Then pour the additional sauce on top of the tuna steaks once they are plated. Finish the tuna steaks off by sprinkling with both black and white sesame seeds and dinner is served.

Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna

What do you serve with Ahi Tuna?

Here are a few of my favorite side dishes to make with these ahi tuna steaks.

These tuna steaks have been one of my quickest meals to get on the table to date. As long as my husband is home and playing with the baby– I can have our entire dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes. If you love Ahi Tuna and want to enjoy it in the comfort of your own home I highly suggest you give his recipe for Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna Steaks a try!

Print Recipe

Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoons ginger
  • 1 tablespoon white and black sesame seeds
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tuna steaks

Directions:

1. In a bowl mix together the soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, minced garlic, and ginger. Set to the side.
  2. Rinse and pat dry the tuna steaks. Season with salt and pepper to taste on both side.
  3. Heat a skillet to high heat with the grape seed oil. Place tuna steak in skillet (you should hear a searing sound). Cook 2 minutes, then flip. Spoon half the sauce into the pan during the last minute of cooking. Remove the tuna steaks and plate. Pour the remainder of the sauce over the tuna steaks and sprinkle with sesame seeds, dividing evenly.

Warning: Use of undefined constant rand - assumed 'rand' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/kjasiewicz21/webapps/katiescucina/wp-content/themes/katiescucina/single.php on line 74

17 Responses to “Sesame Ginger Ahi Tuna Steaks”

1. Yvonne posted on April 11, 2016 at 2:55 am (#)

I made this for guests tonight and everyone raved about how delicious it was! It truly takes only moments to prepare, but tastes like something from a nice restaurant. I’m so glad to have found this recipe and I’m sure I’ll be making it many times in the future. Thank you for sharing it!

• Katie replied on April 11th, 2016 at 7:08 am

Yvonne, I’m so glad you and your guest enjoyed this recipe! Yes–ahi tuna can be intimidating to make yet so easy!!!

2. Johanna posted on December 28, 2016 at 5:44 pm (#)

How many steaks is this recipe for? 🙂

• Katie replied on January 2nd, 2017 at 7:51 am

I made 2 tuna steaks with this recipe. Happy Cooking!

3. loriann posted on March 15, 2018 at 11:34 am (#)

This is a such a easy recipe. I recently made it with Salmon (it was lovely) as I did not have Tuna in the house.

• Katie replied on March 20th, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Hi Loriann, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

4. Anna Foster posted on October 11, 2018 at 9:56 pm (#)

This was so easy and tasty. First time making tuna and it came out great. I had to put the remaining sauce over heat before serving to melt the sugar. I also think if you want to be healthier you can do half the amount of sesame oil, because the sauce is certainly oily, but not in a yucky way. I served this over spinach, chickpeas, and sprouts, and it was very healthy and delicious.

• Katie replied on October 16th, 2018 at 10:27 am

Hi Anna, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I’m glad you enjoyed this recipe! Sounds like you made a delicious meal.

5. Janet Theilen posted on January 14, 2019 at 9:20 pm (#)

I prepared this tonight and it was so delicious! I’m amazed that for my first try this was better than any Ahi I’ve ever had in a restaurant, We’re really impressed! Thanks for giving me the courage to try it on my own!

• Katie replied on January 14th, 2019 at 10:53 pm

Hi Janet, thank you so much for taking the time to leave feedback! I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe.

6. Kearsti posted on March 13, 2019 at 1:30 pm (#)

Do you think this would taste ok with fresh minced ginger?

• Katie replied on March 14th, 2019 at 1:14 pm

Hi, yes I think so–just finely mince or even grate the fresh ginger! 🙂

7. Rick posted on July 1, 2019 at 12:46 pm (#)

Hi Katie, looking forward to trying your recipe for the Tuna. Have I missed the recipe for your Honey Ginger Green Beans?

• Katie replied on July 2nd, 2019 at 8:21 am

Hi Rick! Thank you for reaching out. I forgot to add the link back into the post, but just for you I updated the post with my Honey Sesame Green Beans recipe and a few other side dishes that pair well!

1. Pingback: 20 Delicious Fish Recipes You Can Eat Every Day

2. Pingback: Tuna Fish: Brain-Boosting, Protein Powerhouse or Toxin-Filled Danger Food? | Best Pure Essential Oils

3. Pingback: 50 Delicious Fish Recipes You Can Eat Every Day - Sensual Appeal