Make this delicious and easy-to-make gluten free Asian-style Sesame Cucumber Salad to go along with your next Asian-inspired meal!
Happy New Year! I felt that it was only fitting to start my first post for the new year off with a “salad” type recipe. I’ve been making this sesame cucumber salad for as long as I can remember. So much so that this recipe has been in my cue for almost two years–I just never got around to photographing it! It all started after a visit to our local sushi restaurant. They would always serve a super small serving of their cucumber salad before the meal started. I would always ask for extra since I loved it so much and could honestly eat it as a meal. That sushi restaurant shut down (or wait, maybe we stopped going)… either way I didn’t get it often enough so I decided to recreate it at home. And ever since then I wasn’t craving sushi as much because I could make this sesame cucumber salad at home!
Any time I have an Asian dinner like my Asian-Styl London Broil or chicken & vegetable stir fry on the menu I always serve up a side of my sesame cucumber salad. It’s a must and makes our meal complete. Best of all, it’s really easy to make and I almost always have all the ingredients on hand! I love using my OXO Handheld Mandoline Slicer it gives a nice thin and even slice to the cucumber. Before I had my mandoline I would just thinly slice with a knife. I’ll be honest–this is one kitchen tool that I use probably use almost every day and worth every penny (it’s cheap, only $15)!
Let’s get back to the Sesame Cucumber Salad, it’s very easy to make and even better you can make it ahead of time the morning of dinner or even just 30 minutes prior to dinner. You’ll mix all the ingredients together then place the cucumbers into the mixture. I like to use a glass container with a lid–I’ll close the container and then shake it well so that the liquid mixture gets on all the cucumber slices. Then I refrigerate it so that the sauce marinates on the cucumber–I find that at least 15 minutes in the refrigerator will suffice. That’s it–easy as that you’ll have a delicious and easy-to-make Sesame Cucumber Salad to go along with your next Asian-style dinner.
Disclaimer: Their are affiliate links in this post. That means if you click on the link and purchase something I’ll receive a small percentage of the sale.
Sesame Cucumber Salad
- 2 medium cucumbers half peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon green onions sliced
- dash of red pepper flakes
- dash of salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Peel half the cucumber and thinly slice on lowest setting. Set to the side once both cucumbers have been thinly sliced.
- In a bowl mix together the rice vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Begin layering in handfuls of cucumber into the sauce. Mix and submerging as you go. Sprinkle green onions, red pepper flakes and a dash of salt. Mix well and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Before serving, mix well, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Enjoy!