Embrace the flavors of fall with this easy-to-make homemade Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins recipe. Perfect way to use up a few apples!
I love Fall. It’s my second favorite season to summer–let’s face it, I love the beach, grilling out daily, and daily swims in our pool. However, I welcome the cooler for us Florida weather, and all the flavors that come with fall; pumpkin and most importantly apple! Over the summer, my son and I would read this book called “One Hungry Monsters” almost daily. The book ends with the little boy enjoying his apple muffin that the monsters never got. Every day/night my son would proclaim that he needed an apple muffin. If you have a little one–you have to get this book. It’s the cutest, works on food, numbers, and rhyming!
During the first week of school, my son got very sick with a nasty virus which kept him out of school for over two weeks. During those first few days at home I decided to make him the apple muffins he had been asking for daily in hopes he would eat something. He had half a bite before laying back down again. I on the other hand probably ate almost the entire dozen within a weeks time. Stress eating at it’s finest with a sick kid at home. I found this recipe for Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins from King Arthur Flour and adapted it with my streusel topping I make on my double blueberry crumb muffins. They are my absolute favorite muffins because of that crumb topping.
How do you make Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins?
I love to use my KitchenAid Stand Mixer whenever I’m baking. It really makes my life easier. However, if you don’t have one no worries–you can use a hand mixer or even the old fashion way by stirring by hand. I always start with creaming the butter and sugar together. Then you add in the egg and buttermilk. Next, I’ll add in all the dry ingredients. The last thing I add in is the apples and I only mix them for a few seconds until they are just incorporated into the batter.
I like to let the batter rest while I work on the streusel topping. You can do one of two things… You can mix this streusel topping by hand with a fork or using the paddle attachment to the stand mixer. It’s totally up to you. I do it either way depending on the time I have. If you use the stand mixer you need to watch it carefully. You just want the crumb topping to resemble the shape of peas not creamed together. Which could easily happen if you forget that the mixer is on. I like to use an ice scream or cookie scoop to scoop the batter into the muffin cups. Then sprinkle on the streusel topping.
In the oven they go to bake until golden in color and when a toothpick is inserted in the middle it runs clear (no batter visible just a few crumbs). I let the muffins rest in the tin for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to completely cool down. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Making homemade muffins is actually pretty simple! Don’t ever be discouraged!
What supplies do you need to make Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins?
Here are a few kitchen supplies that I find very helpful when making my recipe for Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins. *Affiliate links below
- KitchenAid Stand Mixer
- Silicone Spatula
- Muffin Tin
- Cupcake Liners
- Large Cookie Scoop
- Pot Holders
- Wire Cooling Rack
If you want to make homemade muffins this fall and looking for a delicious and easy-to-make recipe this recipe for Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins is the winner! Perfect for a quick breakfast on the go, to sip with a warm cup of coffee, pack in a school lunch, or even snack on.
Disclaimer: *This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on the link and purchase from my link. I will receive a small percentage at no additional cost to you.
Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
For the Muffins:
- 1 stick salted butter room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large apples peeled, cored, and chopped into bite-size pieces
For the Streusel Topping:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup salted butter softened at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
- Using a stand mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar, and ¼ cup brown sugar. Mix on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add the egg and mix well, stopping once to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Then mix in the buttermilk while the mixer is on low.
- Turn the mixer off and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix for one minute. Then add the chopped apples. Let rest, then make the streusel topping.
- In a separate bowl combine the brown sugar, flour, salted butter, and cinnamon. Using a fork, mix well until small pea-sized balls are formed.
- Place cupcake liners in a muffin pan. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the streusel topping evening among the muffins.
- Bake the muffins for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, cool them for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn them out onto a wire rack to finish cooling completely.