Sweet starchy sweet potatoes, mixed in with a homemade caramel sauce and chopped pecans make for the most delicious and easy-to-make Instant Pot Candied Sweet Potatoes side dish recipe.
I love a good candied sweet potato recipe. As I was brainstorming Instant Pot holiday side dish recipes last month it occurred to me that I could make candied sweet potatoes. Since this recipe does not contain marshmallows I knew I could make the entire side dish in the Instant Pot and not have to dirty up any additional cookware.
How do you cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot
You might wonder, how do you cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot? It’s very simple. You can use either the STEAM or MANUAL setting on the Instant Pot. There are two ways you can cook sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot. If you go that route, you can cook them hole with skin on. You will want to use the wire rack your Instant Pot came with, water, and cook on STEAM for 10-15 minutes depending the size.
The second option, and method of cooking for this recipe is to steam the potatoes. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into equal size pieces. Place 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot and STEAM/MANUAL for 2 minutes!
Can I use yams instead of sweet potatoes?
After doing quite a bit of research on if you can use yams instead of sweet potatoes. Yams and Sweet Potatoes are not the same thing. Although similar in shape they are different in taste and color. I was also surprised to find that the canned “yams” you get in the grocery store are most likely sweet potatoes! The USDA requires them to label them “yam” and “sweet potato. However, this recipe requires fresh sweet potatoes. So you cannot use fresh yams for this recipe or it will yield a different taste.
Sweet Potato Recipes
Looking for more sweet potato recipes?
- Vanilla Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Banana
- Whole 30 Mexican Egg Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Dairy-Free Sweet Potato Casserole
- Apple Butter Glazed Sweet Potatoes
If your looking to simplify one side dish for your holiday meal. I hope you’ll make this easy recipe for Instant Pot Candied Sweet Potatoes.
Instant Pot Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 5 medium size orange flesh sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed firm
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- In a 6-quart Instant Pot, place the peeled, rinsed, and chopped sweet potatoes in the pot. Fill with 1 cup of water. Set the Instant Pot to "manual" pressure for 2 minutes. Once the timer goes off, carefully, release the pressure.
- Drain the potatoes and set to the side.
- Place the pot back in base. Turn the Instant Pot to "saute" mode. Melt the stick of butter. Then add in the brown sugar, salt, and ground cinnamon. Mix well until everything is about incorporated (about 2 minutes). Mix in the chopped pecans.
- Turn the Instant Pot off, carefully add the sweet potatoes back to the Instant Pot. Fold the caramel mixture into the potatoes. Let stay on "warm" setting until ready to serve.