Instant Pot Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup is a hearty and filling soup perfect for the cooler months. This soup is easy to make in less than 30 minutes perfect for a quick homemade lunch!
What type of lentils do you use for Instant Pot Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup?
How do I make lentil soup in the Instant Pot?
I love that the Instant Pot has a “saute” function. This is key when making quick cooking soups. It not only softens them quicker but also brings out the flavor profile. I like to cook the carrots, onions, celery and garlic first in the saute mode. Then add in the bell peppers, seasonings, lentils as well as the liquid a few minutes after the main veggies have cooked. Then, all you need to do is close the lid and let the Instant Pot do it’s job.
Once the soup is done I add in freshly chopped tomatoes and spinach. They don’t need any cooking time and by the time you’ve stirred the soup and ladled it into bowls the spinach will be wilted and the tomatoes just soft enough you’ll never know that they weren’t cooked in the soup. I also love to give a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top as well as a sprinkling of Peccorino Romano cheese and cracked black pepper.
Here are a few side suggestions to serve with my recipe for Instant Pot Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup:
Instant Pot Italian Vegetable Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + additional for garnish
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1.5 cups of autumn blend lentils
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes*
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 ugly tomatoes diced
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup Peccorino Romano cheese divided
- Place Instant Pot to “sauté” mode. Add olive oil, carrots, celery, onions and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes until instant pot reaches “hot”. While sautéing chop the bell pepper, tomatoes, and spinach. Add the bell peppers to the Instant Pot and keep the tomatoes and spinach to the side.
- Add the lentils, chicken bouillon cubes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, and water to the Instant Pot. Mix well, close lid, and place the valve to “sealing” mode. Turn the Instant Pot off and select “manual” mode. Set the IP for 12 minutes (it will take 10-12 minutes to come to pressure then the count down begins).
- Once the soup is done cooking let rest for 5 minutes. Using a kitchen towel and insulated pot holder, carefully force the remaining pressure. Carefully, remove the lid, stir and stir in the chopped tomatoes and spinach. Ladle into bowls and drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle with grated Peccorino Romano cheese.