Thank you Barleans for sponsoring today’s recipe! As always, all opinions are my own.
Change up your pesto game with this fast, and fresh recipe for peppery arugula pesto! With just a few simple ingredients you’ll have a delicious pesto.
Nothing screams spring more then pesto in my book. Since, Wednesday marked the official first day of spring I felt a pesto recipe was the best way to celebrate! I love to make basil pesto when I have an abundance of it. However, as of lately, I’ve been eating a lot of arugula. With my latest food obsession has come some thoughts on making an Arugula Pesto. Since making this peppery pesto I’ve been hooked. Instead, of adding basil like you would use for basil pesto I used a handful of fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves along with the arugula. It yields the brightest green color!
How do you make arugula pesto?
First, you will toast your pine nuts. This is the key to making any pesto. I love to stick with the traditional pine nut. However, you could use another milder nut like a cashew for this recipe.
What herbs do you add to arugula pesto?
For my arugula pesto recipe I added fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley. However, you could definitely use fresh basil (like a traditional pesto) or even cilantro. Of course, that will completely change the flavors of the arugula pesto. Personally, I think the way the flat-leaf Italian parsley compliments the peppery arugula best. Give it a whirl, and try with whatever you have on hand!
How can you use pesto?
Pesto is extremely versatile and can really enhance the flavor to any meal. Here are a few of my favorite ways to use pesto.
- Marinate on meat
- Toss in Pasta
- Add a dollop to a soup
- Mix into the lasagna cheese mixture
- Add in an omelet
- Thin out to make into a salad dressing
Flax Oil – the super secret ingredient!
You would never know if I didn’t tell you that this pesto contains Barlean’s Lignan Organic Flax Oil in combination with olive oil and some water. It adds additional nutrients to the recipe without anyone ever suspecting!! What is Organic Flax Oil you might be asking to yourself?
- High in ALA Omega-3 fatty acid: 7,230mg per Tbsp
- Natural source of SDG lignan
- USDA Organic, Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, Kosher
- Fresh, cold-pressed and protected from air and light
- How to enjoy Flax Oil? Enjoy right off the spoon or mix into salad dressings, yogurt, oatmeal or smoothies
Pesto Recipe Ideas
- Caprese Pesto Chicken
- Pesto Bucatini with Shrimp and Grape Tomatoes
- Grilled Chili Chicken Skewers with Cilantro Lime Pesto
- Pesto Tortellini Salad
- Summer Basil Pesto Mezzaluna Soup
- Vegetable Pesto Flatbread
Disclaimer: There are affiliate links in this post. That means, if you click on the link and purchase from it–I will make a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you.
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 4 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese
- 1/4 cup flat leaf Italian parsley
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons Barlean's Organic Flax Oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a frying pan, toast the pine nuts on high heat until golden brown (about 1-2 minutes). Remove from the heat and set to the side.
- Using a high-power blender or food processor, blend together the toasted pine nuts, arugula, pecorino romano cheese, flat leaf parsley, garlic , and olive oil. As the blender is running, add in the water, Flax oil, and lemon juice. Blend for at least 1 minute or until smooth.
- Transfer to a glass air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.