Instant Pot Beef Stew makes dinner an easy proposition. Something about the comfort of fork-tender beef and root-vegetables simmering that is the ultimate comfort food!
There’s nothing better than a big hearty bowl of beef stew on a cold winters day. Something about the comfort of fork-tender beef and root-vegetables simmering–filling your home full of deliciousness. For years, I’ve made my beef stew either on the stovetop or in the slow cooker. It wasn’t until I received an Instant Pot that I decided to try and adapt my tried-and-true recipe to the Instant Pot. I’m happy to report that on my first attempt, it was a huge success. Yielding the most developed flavors and fork tender beef I’ve ever had. When you use the Instant Pot to cook your beef stew you’ll never know that you bought an inexpensive cut of beef. That’s the beauty of the Instant Pot. It gives you that fork tender fall off the bone results in a short amount of time. If you own an Instant Pot, I hope that you will get out of my recipe for Instant Pot beef stew a try.
How do you make Instant Pot Beef Stew?
First you will season your beef for stew, then toss in a light coat of all-purpose flour. Then preheat the instant pot to the “sauté” Mode. Place a little bit of grapeseed oil in the Instant Pot. Once the Instant Pot screen reads “hot“ place the beef in the pot. Sear on all sides for a few minutes then remove from the Instant Pot.
You might have to do this in several batches depending on how large your instant pot is and how much beef you have. I tend to stretch my beef very far so I only have to do two batches of searing. But if you like a very hearty Beef presents in your stew than double up the amount called for in this recipe.
While the beef sears, this is when I like to chop all the vegetables. Once the beef is done searing and removed from the Instant Pot it’s time to add the carrots, celery, and onions and a bit of beef stock to deglaze the pot.
What vegetables work well for beef stew?
I love the versatility of beef stew. I pretty much throw any And all vegetables that I have in my crisper into the beef stew. Here is a list of vegetables that I feel work best with beef stew.
I tend to stay away from most green vegetables for beef stew. Not because I don’t like them, but because they break down and tend to disintegrate into the stew. The extent of green vegetables I use is green peas. I also don’t place those in until the very last few minutes of cooking.
Here are a few other recipes you can pair with my Instant Pot Beef Stew:
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 2 lbs. stew for beef
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 teaspoon dehydrated garlic
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 6 carrots sliced 1-inch thick
- 4 parsnips sliced 1-inch thick
- 5 celery stalks chopped 1-inch thick
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 8 small white potatoes quartered
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 1 cup chopped white mushrooms
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup green peas thawed
- 1 cup corn thawed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley minced
- Heat the Instant Pot to “saute” mode. Place beef stew in a large gallon bag sprinkle the cornstarch and Montreal steak seasoning. Toss until coated. Pour the grape seed oil in the Instant Pot then pour in the beef. Let brown for 2-3 minutes. While beef is browning begin peeling and chopping vegetables. Turn beef then mix in the dehydrated garlic and tomato paste.Remove the beef from the Instant Pot.
- Then add in ½ cup of water and deglaze the pot–scraping the brown bits off the bottom. Then add in the carrots, celery, onion, and parsnips. Saute for 5 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, potatoes, pearl onions, and mushrooms. Mix well then place the lid on top of the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to “manual” for 35 minutes on manual mode. Once the Instant Pot is done cooking. Let it naturally release pressure for 10-15 minutes. Carefully, force the remaining pressure out of the IP then remove the lid. Mix well, and mix in the green peas, corn, and fresh parsley. Place lid on top and let sit for 5 minutes. Divide evenly among bowls and enjoy.