Instant pot meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes is pure comfort food. Make a side of vegetables while the meat and potatoes cook and dinner is complete! This mess-free meal comes together in an hours time from start to finish *including the time it takes your Instant Pot to get up to pressure!
As I think back to my childhood, I don’t recall a lot of meatloaf dinners. I don’t know if this is because my mom simply didn’t like it or if she didn’t like making it. Of course, maybe us kids complained about meatloaf for dinner. It wasn’t until I was in high school that I ate meatloaf. My great aunt stayed with us while my mom recovered from surgery. Meatloaf was one of the few meals that she would cook for us. I loved it the first few times, but after eating it every week I was so done with meatloaf.
I love how I can cook both meatloaf and mashed potatoes all at the same time. Best of all–this is a fail proof way to ensure you will not have dry meatloaf! No way for you to over cook it! Since I don’t like ketchup I’ve come up with a better solution in my book. I’ve created a sweet tomato sauce that you pour on top and then enjoy on the side as you dip bite-by-bite into the sauce. My kids have never complained about meatloaf night in my house thanks to this easy two-ingredient sauce!
Mix all the ingredients for the meatloaf together and set to the side.
Create an aluminum foil pan and place on top of the rack. Then, carefully transfer mixed meat into the foil pan. Shape into a loaf and pour ¼-1/3 cup of the sweet tomato sauce on top.
Close the lid making sure the steam valve is closed. Set on “manual” for 15 minutes. Once it’s done cooking let it naturally release for 15 minutes. Towards the last few minutes while the pressure naturally releases you’ll want to preheat the oven to broil on low.
Next, force any remaining pressure out and carefully remove the lid. Carefully pull the meatloaf out of the Instant Pot. Place the meatloaf on a sheet pan, and place in the oven for 2 minutes or until crisp on top. Once it’s done you can slice the meatloaf and serve with additional tomato sauce.
FAQs about meatloaf
You will use the same method of creating an aluminum foil pan and resting it on the rack. Just skip the part of the mashed potatoes on the bottom.
Simply substitute the breadcrumbs for a gluten free version. You can also use other substitutes like rice flour, almond flour, crushed potato chips, or even crackers. I have not tested any of these ingredients in this recipe, so test at your own risk!
Eggs are essential to keeping meatloaf moist. Most recipes will call for at least 2-3 eggs. Some methods of making meatloaf require soaking whole slices of bread into milk then tearing.
Side Dish Recipe Ideas
Whenever I serve meatloaf and mashed potatoes I always like to make 1-2 vegetable side dishes. Here are a few of my favorite side dishes to serve.
- Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Carrots
- Green Beans with Caramelized Pearl Onions
- Brussels Sprouts with Corned Beef
- Roasted Broccoli & Match Stick Carrots
If you’re looking to cook two things at once, and have perfectly cooked meatloaf with fluffy mashed potatoes. Then this recipe for meatloaf with garlic mashed potatoes is the one for you to try!
If you make this Instant Pot Meatloaf recipe, I would be honored and love for you to take the time to leave a star rating and comment! I spend hours developing and testing these recipes, and always love to hear feedback and user experience!
Instant Pot Meatloaf with Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot
For the Meatloaf:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1- 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- ¾ cup brown sugar
For the mashed potatoes:
- 8 Yukon gold potatoes chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Mix all the ingredients for the meatloaf together and set to the side.
- In a bowl mix together a can of tomato sauce with brown sugar. Whisk until incorporated, set to the side.
- Rinse and chop the potatoes. Place in the Instant Pot along with garlic cloves, water, and salt. Place a metal rack on top of the potatoes making it as even as possible.
- Create an aluminum foil pan and place on top of the rack. Then, carefully transfer mixed meat into the foil pan. Shape into a loaf and pour ¼-⅓ cup of the sweet tomato sauce on top.
- Close lid making sure the steam valve is closed. Set on “manual” for 15 minutes. Once it’s done cooking let it naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to broil on low.
- Force any remaining pressure out and carefully remove the lid. Carefully pull the meatloaf out of the Instant Pot.
- Then, drain any remaining water from the potatoes. Add potatoes back to Instant Pot with butter. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes. Then mix in the milk and parsley until desired consistency.
- Place the meatloaf on a sheet pan, and place in the oven for 2 minutes or until crisp on top.
- Once done you can slice the meatloaf and serve with additional tomato sauce. Divide mashed potatoes and meatloaf evenly among plates and enjoy.
- Sides – While the meal is cooking work on cooking 1-2 vegetables as a side to go along with dinner.
- Broiling – You can skip the broiling part of the meatloaf if you don’t care about having a crunchy top. That’s all for texture.
- Gluten Free – Make this recipe gluten free by using gluten free bread crumbs.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links present in this post. That means if you click on a link and purchase something. I will receive a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continuous support of Katie’s Cucina!