Switch up the traditional coleslaw recipe you bring to barbecue’s this summer, and make my Mandarin Orange Coleslaw for the next party you attend! This coleslaw is made in just 10 minutes time using 7 ingredients.
For as long as I can remember, my mother in-law has made this Mandarin Orange Coleslaw recipe. Once my husband and I got married she taught me how to make this coleslaw. This has been the only coleslaw recipe I ever make, too. It’s definitely one of those recipes that will stick with me throughout my whole life. I think if you make it–it will stick with you for a lifetime as well.
Putting this Mandarin Orange Coleslaw together is really easy. Most of the ingredients you’ll probably already have on hand in your pantry.
- Mayonnaise – I love to use a full fat mayonnaise. But use what you prefer and/or have on hand.
- Sugar – This will add a little sweetness to the sauce.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – The acid of the vinegar cuts the sugar and mayonnaise.
- Salt & Pepper – A little goes a long way with this recipe.
- Shredded Cabbage – You can buy a bag of shredded cabbage or sometimes marketed as “coleslaw mix” in the produce section of your local grocery store.
- Mandarin Oranges – I always keep a can in my pantry, but you can use fresh if you have it on hand.
- Combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Using a whisk, mix sauce until smooth.
- Place the shredded cabbage mix in mixing bowl with dressing. Toss with dressing until thoroughly blended.
- Gently fold in mandarin oranges.
- Place in refrigerator to marry flavors for at least one hour. Mix well before serving.
Prepackaged coleslaw mix is made up of shredded green cabbage, red cabbage and shredded carrots.
Cabbage naturally holds a lot of water. So when you add in the sauce that contains acid like vinegar it will begin to break down the cabbage essentially removing the stored water from the cabbage.
I like to let my coleslaw sit for at least one hour before serving. Sometimes I’ll make it the night before or the morning before I’ll serve it for lunch or dinner.
Barbecue Side Dishes
Looking for more delicious side dishes to bring to your next barbecue? I have you covered!
If you make this coleslaw recipe, I would be honored and love for you to take the time to leave a star rating and comment! I spend hours developing and testing these recipes, and always love to hear feedback and user experience!
Mandarin Orange Coleslaw
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- 16 oz. bag of Shredded cabbage mix
- 1 11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
- Make coleslaw at least an hour before serving. For best results let it sit 4-8 hours.
- Coleslaw is only good for up to 3 days. It is normal for your coleslaw to get watery over time. The cabbage contains water and will start to release the water over time. This is why I advise to only keep it up to 3 days.