Pasta and Peas Soup is a classic Italian soup recipe. Small tubed pasta called Ditalini, frozen peas, and pancetta make up the most flavorful and simple soup recipe made in under an hours time.
In ode to my current trip to Italy I figured I would give my readers a little taste of Italy. Italian meals are about simple yet bold flavors. This Pasta and Peas Soup fits the bill. The pancetta brings an extra layer of flavor to the broth. As you know I’m on my last day of vacation before I have to fly back to the states. I’m sure I’ve consumed quite a few amazing meals by now.
I went a little overboard and started making tons of Italian food the month prior to our trip to Italy. When I found the recipe for this soup I knew I had to make it. I love has simple it is yet the flavor profile tastes like it has been slow cooked on the stove for hours! This is a perfect quick soup to whip up now that fall weather has begun!
Still craving soup? Check out these other soup recipes that I love just as much as this recipe.
Love Peas? Try these recipes…
If you make this Pasta and Peas Soup recipe, I would be honored and love for you to take the time to leave a star rating and comment! I spend hours developing and testing these recipes, and always love to hear feedback and user experience!
Pasta and Peas Soup
- Stove Top
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces pancetta finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried marjoram or thyme
- 2 32 oz boxes of chicken broth
- 1-½ cups ditalini pasta
- 1-½ cups frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan + additional for topping
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced pancetta and cook until the fat renders and it begins to brown (about 5 minutes). Add the diced onion and marjoram and cook until the onion is softened (about 8 minutes). Feel free to lower the heat if the onions are starting to brown.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil (over high heat). Stir in the ditalini pasta and peas and season with salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in one cup of Parmesan cheese. Serve and sprinkle additional cheese on top. Enjoy!
- Storage – Store leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezing Instructions – Do not cook pasta in with soup–freeze soup without pasta.