A cold winter’s day calls for Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate. Cozy up to a big mug of hot chocolate with your friends and family. Best of all the slow cooker will do all the work for you!
My Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate recipe takes only 10 minutes to put together and simmers in the slow cooker for an hour and a half. Making it ideal for a cold winters days when you want to play outside with your family. Come in from a cold day and enjoy a warm mug full of hot chocolate!
We have been experiencing winter-like temperatures here in Florida over the past few weeks. If you live anywhere other than Florida please stop rolling your eyes! You would understand how cold it is to us after you experience one summer with temps in the high 90’s with 100% humidity! This Floridian has had the heat on blast for weeks and big pots of soup simmering on the stove top just about every few days. I’ve also found myself making this slow cooker hot chocolate any time I know we have guest coming over! Who doesn’t love a mug of hot chocolate on a cold winters day?
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate: Table of contents
Here are all the ingredients you will need in order to make the very best slow cooker hot chocolate.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – This is my secret to ultra sweet and creamy hot chocolate.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – This will help lend that rich chocolate flavor.
- Granulated Sugar – If you like really sweet hot chocolate you can add this. If not, feel free to skip it.
- Milk Chocolate Chips – Milk chocolate will lend a creamier taste where the bittersweet will be less creamy and sweet.
- Salt – Salt helps cut the sweetness and balances the flavors.
- Whole Milk – I like to use whole milk, but you can use whatever milk you have on hand.
- Marshmallows – Hot chocolate is not complete without mini marshmallows.
- Whipped Cream – I always have a can on hand in my fridge.
This recipe is very simple to put together and I love that it can safely simmer in the slow cooker while you run errands and leave the house. That’s the benefit of making hot chocolate in the slow cooker. You can keep it simmering on low for hours and it will be perfectly fine. All day long you can have hot chocolate at your fingertips. But if your friends are anything like mine you’ll be quickly making a second batch before anyone is anywhere near leaving your home!
If you want to make it an adult version I suggest you try my boozy slow cooker peppermint hot cocoa! With just a few modifications you can make a peppermint flavored adult version! If you love hot chocolate and know that you’ll be entertaining I highly suggest you plug-in the slow cooker and make my hot chocolate recipe.
Crockpot Hot Chocolate FAQs
This is all a preference. If you want a richer creamier hot chocolate you will want to make it with milk. If you want a few less calories and less creamy then feel free to make the hot chocolate with water.
Chocolate milk does not make good hot chocolate in my opinion. Cold chocolate milk will not get as a thick and creamy as traditional hot chocolate gets.
Milk will make hot chocolate so much more rich and creamy. For extra creamy hot chocolate you can add condensed milk. Just know that it will be much sweeter as well. You can also add cinnamon or even a few drops of peppermint extract for a flavored twist.
Hot Chocolate Recipes
If you love my Hot chocolate recipe crock pot you’ll love my other hot chocolate recipes.
Craving something sweet to go along with the Cocoa?
If so I have a few of my favorite sweet treats that pair well with hot cocoa.
- Dairy Free Chocolate Mug Cake
- Candy Bar Cookies
- Monkey Bread
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- New York Style Cheesecake
If you make this crockpot hot cocoa, I would be honored and love for you to take the time to leave a star rating and comment! I spend hours developing and testing these recipes, and always love to hear feedback and user experience!
Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
- Slow Cooker
- 14 oz. Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ⅓ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ⅓ cup Granulated Sugar
- 11 oz. Milk Chocolate Chips
- ⅛ tsp. Salt
- 8 cups Whole Milk
- 10 oz. Mini Marshmallows
- Whipped Cream for topping
- Turn the slow cooker on low. Add in the sweetened condensed milk with the milk chocolate chips, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, and salt.
- Mix until the chocolate chips are melted, then add in the milk. Stir until mostly incorporated and the milk is a light brown color.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 1.5 hours.
- Mix a few times during the cooking process to make sure the chocolate chips are fully melted and incorporated into the dairy mixture.
- Once hot, mix well and ladle hot chocolate into cups. Garnish with a layer of mini marshmallows, and whipped cream.
- Less Sugar – Omit the granulated sugar for a not-so sweet hot chocolate.
- Substitute Milk – For a less creamier and rich hot chocolate you can substitute milk for water.
- Leftovers – Store leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
- Reheat – Simply poor leftover hot chocolate in a mug and reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until hot.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links present in this post. That means if you click on a link and purchase something. I will receive a small percentage of the sale at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your continuous support of Katie’s Cucina!