We love lasagna in our home, but for some reason I don’t make it that often. Lasagna maybe makes my meal plan once every two months. And if it does it’s my one pot meat lasagna version. Rarely ever is it actually a tray of lasagna. A few months ago, one of my good friends had her third baby. I wanted to come visit but I also wanted to bring a few meals over. She is a vegetarian and her family is not. So in an effort to please everyone one of the dishes I brought over was a small tray of this spinach and cheese lasagna!
I first published this recipe back in 2010 so I feel like it’s time to revive it and share it again with the world. I’ve made this recipe countless times. I first learned how to make this recipe when I was in 7th grade economics. That my date me right there, but I’ll tell you that I went to a junior high that still offered this. I wish all middle school and high schools still offered home-ec. Kids need those skills these days! Anyways getting back to the spinach and cheese lasagna. I remember our home economics teacher telling us how easy this recipe is to make and how this is a great way to sneak spinach into meals without kids knowing. Remember she was talking to kids! But I agree with her–everyone I make this for has no clue it’s chocked full of spinach!
I made two small 8×8 pans of the spinach and cheese lasagna the night before I was going to bring my friend a few meals. I saved one pan for my family so that the next day all I needed to do was pop it in the oven and it was done! It was delicious and I was happy I made the lasagna the night before. I did it after my son went to bed so the prep went quickly and even better no need to pre cook anything! If your looking for a delicious lasagna recipe for your family or maybe to make for a friend this is the recipe for you!
Spinach and Cheese Lasagna
- 1 package Barilla Oven-Ready Noodles
- 1 egg
- 1 15oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 package of frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 onion minced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic in water
- 2 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of black pepper and red pepper flakes
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup parmesan cheese divided
- 4 cups marinara sauce divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine a beaten egg, ricotta cheese, 2 cups of mozzarella, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, minced onion, minced garlic, thawed spinach, and Italian seasoning. Mix together well until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- In one 9 x 11 pan or two 8x8 pans spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Layer in the order of 2 uncooked lasagne noodles, 1/3 part of the ricotta mixture, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup sauce, and then repeat two more times. Top the last noodle with the remainder of the sauce followed by mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake covered with foil for 20 minutes. Take the foil off and place back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes to brown and crisp the cheese.